Will you wait for a Google Maps app before you update to iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Oohara, Sep 25, 2012.

?

Will you wait for a Google Maps app before you update to iOS 6?

1. Yes.

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. No, I will update/have updated anyway.

27 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. Yes, I won't even buy a new iOS product before there's a Google Maps app available.

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Oohara, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

So, I was just keen to see for how many the absence of Google maps in iOS 6 is a total dealbreaker.

For me it is. Actually I recently (before this whole iOS 6 debacle started) came to think of how often I do rely on the map in my 4S, and a maps app that isn't 100% reliable can potentially cost me a lot of time in a day. I rely on public transportation where I live and if I get off at the wrong stop or plan a connection incorrectly due to some map detail being off, this can cost me precisely the 30 minutes, one hour or whatever - that I don't have to spare.

I'm dying to try out the panorama feature in iOS 6, to see if my phone gets a little snappier and so on, but as long as I don't feel I can rely 100% on the maps, I feel I simply have to sacrifice those things. What about the rest of you? How many of you are even holding off on purchasing a new iOS product until there's a Google Maps app available?

Edit: please comment briefly on your choice below so the poll gets bumped, with more votes it'll give a better picture.

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have updated. For my area (rural Scotland), iOS maps is reasonably accurate, but I gather there are problems in other areas in the UK. My main issue with the new maps apps is that I find it hard to read.

3. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Good point about the readability. Routing colours are fine (is there a night mode?) but map details are very faint

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

5. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Where's the option for I wish I hadn't updated but can't go back.

6. iRebound macrumors regular

7. pdqgp, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No waiting needed

Maps works well for me in my area. POI don't all display and that's nice as it keeps the maps clean. It pulls them all up just fine when I search for them in any number of ways.

Anything that is missing isn't a big deal as I believe in using the best tool for the job and the app store has yet to let me down in providing me what I need. YMMV depending on where you live.

I use Motion X GPS Drive anyway and have yet to find a better more intuitive system.

8. zunex macrumors member

It's not that big problem at all. I think iOS 6 is faster than the 5.1.1, plus a change from email which really makes me interested.

Moreover, you could still use Google Maps via Safari though.

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I've always used Navigon and will continue to do so, therefore I had no worries about the iOS 6 update on my old 4S.

10. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

I updated on my iPad first to test, my area and the places I tend to go the most are accurate enough for it to not be a pain.

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I wouldn't update the 4S anyway until 6.1.1 or whatever-- it is always better to wait a release or two if you can. But, yes, I would not consider upgrading until Google Maps is available. The data accuracy is big, but also, I have always preferred the cartography in Google Maps. There is competition today already, but, I find the competition ugly (e.g. MapQuest).

12. DreamSTi macrumors member

When I add Google maps to the home screen, the maps never follow me when I'm moving. What am I doing wrong?

13. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

14. noteple macrumors 65816

No, committed to iOS 6 since the betas

Maps function working ok in my limited area and use.

Google maps under Safari to pick up any slack.