Will Your Next Mac/PC Be... An iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MICHAELSD, Nov 14, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think the iPad Pro, despite being little more than a larger iPad, will be the future of the Mac in that eventually we will see even more people transition from a MacBook Pro to the iPad Pro as we've already seen plenty of consumers replace their desktops or MacBooks with iPads at least for home use.

The striking portability of a tablet combined with the more natural-feeling interface and meticulously-designed apps makes the case for switching to an iPad. There is plenty missing from the experience compared to a MacBook Pro, and perhaps price is one of the largest deciding factors: at $949 for the full experience without cellular capabilities or the $269 worth of accessories, it may make sense for many to just go with a MacBook Air/Pro for the time being. A new point to that few bring up is the need to pay for apps that are available in free variants on a Mac to accomplish most of the same functionality.

Despite the modernly stark contrast to previous generations, using a computer of any kind is starting to feel a bit antiquated compared to a quality tablet (of which there are few that fit into that classification.) Yet, the iPad Pro seems like the future and may be another Apple product that I initially disqualify but end up buying near launch. With the lack of use my MacBook Pro gets unless I need to create content, the iPad Pro could become a better device for both consumption and creation. It's not there yet, and it seems shortsighted of Apple to not release professional apps like Final Cut Pro or Logic Pro which could be kick-ass apps on the iPad Pro. If Apple wants to sell a professional device, they should be the first with truly professional apps released for it.

Depending on what Apple does with the MacBook Pro next year, I could foresee my next Mac being an iPad.

2. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I can see it being a great addition and powerful enough to do 80-90% of what desktops or laptops can do, but I feel traditional computers will still be needed for that 10-20%. I plan to get the 2gen Retina MacBook... Then I can use my iPad for sketching and illustration, with the MacBook as the machine to do more complicated photoshop tasks and to keep my iPad Pro backed up.

Kal.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think that gap will end up closing though. It may take a few years, but eventually Mac OS and iOS will be 100% on par for app availability.

4. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

iOS is not currently threating to replace either of the desktop OS's for me, but the iPP will definitely become my sketching and note-taking platform, which means it will the only device I carry most days. I'm hardly a typical user though, I still go to a desktop for serious work and I own a 17" MBP.

5. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

6. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

7. TurboPGT! Suspended

Yes, somewhat. I work on a iMac all day long.
    When I'm away from my desk, I still need a certain level of capability. However, generally speaking I would much prefer to use an iPad for everything not work related. So, if I can get away with an iPad for work away from the desk, instead of having to carry around a MacBook, which I don't find as enjoyable as an iPad (and I have zero interest in having both), then I will be very happy.
    If Apple ever gets around shipping my iPad Pro, I'm going to enjoy the most satisfying device on the planet, that can also get some work done.
    Does it replace my iMac? No of course not, but it doesn't have to.

8. dingclancy23 macrumors regular

dingclancy23

the iPad Pro is quickly looking to be something where 90% of my work can be done on it, and can be done better, and I mean faster, more immersive, and longer battery life.

The other 10% I subscribe to the fact that the app is just not available, similar as to how a Windows app that I need is not available on OSX, so we have to use VM or Bootcamp.

In 2015, I have no need for Windows app on my Mac or Bootcamp.

It will take some time before one will have to go to the Mac to do a specific task done instead of an iPad, but it will happen.

9. richpjr, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015

richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Not a chance my next Mac will be an iPad. The OS is far too simplistic, apps aren't faintly close to their desktop counter parts and having to reach and touch the screen instead of using a mouse or track pad is very annoying. This could, and probably will change, though I have a bit of trepidation with Cook's stance that iOS and OS X will never merge. That's fine as long as iOS gets more powerful - I guess we'll see.

10. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

I liked to be 'based' at a workstation. The iPad doesn't provide that. That being said, I own and love an iPad Mini 4.

If portability is a concern and iOS does all you need it to, I can't see why anyone would really pick anything but an iPad.

11. pika2000 macrumors 68030

My next Mac would be a Skylake powered retina Macbook (depending on reviews). I want something lighter than my Macbook Pro 13", but the current Macbook Airs' displays are getting a bit old in my book. The current Macbook is underpowered and I heard the battery life is not that great (especially compared to the "older" Macbook Airs).

My next iPad would be an iPad Air 3 (depending if it supports Apple pencil).

At this point, I don't see practical usage scenario of the iPad Pro for me. Thinking through my workflow on various things, I think at this stage, I still need a laptop, aka a Macbook.

12. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

No, but it'll be an iMac 27" 5K Retina. ;)

13. Dave245 Suspended

Yes, I brought the iPad Pro with the intention of it replacing my now aging 2011 MacBook Pro, so far it hasn't disappointed, I'm waiting for my Apple Pencil to arrive before I properly test it but yea I'm very pleased so far.

14. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

It already is and has been for more than 3 years now. I switched to iPad about three years ago and never looked back.

Apple have given developers phenomenal hardware with the launch of iPad pro, you think the apps right now are amazing, just wait for apps optimized for iPad pro, that's going to be the major pull factor for people who want to to switch from Mac to iPad.

15. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't replace my MacBook Pro with it, but I can replace the iMac at home with it. And both my parents and parents in law are going iPad Pro only in the near future. :)

16. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

My sources say No

(we've struck a perfect balance )

17. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

This is just what I did with the current iPP; my 2015 rMBP is now docked on my desk at home as a second desktop to supplement my Mac Mini and my iPP is now my day-to-day carry around device. It'll be interesting to see if this creates any issues for me, but so far I've been incredibly impressed with its speed and responsiveness (and so has everyone I've showed it to in the office today). Having an Office subscription helps to bring home the fact that this isn't just a Netflix machine, particularly when running Word and Excel side-by-side. I really can't believe how right it feels to use as a "laptop".

18. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

No. My next desktop will be a desktop (iMac in my case).
    My next mobile device will be a phone.
    When my ipad is mega slow or broken, it's time for an upgrade.

They are different devices for different reasons.

19. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

1) Kudos for an excellent post, I like your views on this topic.

2) Using a fully optioned 2015 15" MBPr for my resource intense work, along with either my 13" MBA or 12" MacBook for business travel I'm comfortable, happy and quite centered on the laptop form factor.

While I have an iPad mini and Air2, I simply can't imagine even an iPad Pro, which I've tried, as my primary computer.

What am I missing?

20. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

It already is. For travel/mobility uses anyway. I will continue to have a desktop as well (where's my Mac Pro refresh??) but am now using iPad Pro when away from my desk instead of my MacBook Pro. For me it covers all of my use cases for business (although I do have RDP access to another system but that is no different than the situation on my desktop and laptop to date) and is much more than enough for personal travel (check email, surf web, media).

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

What do you use for a keyboard when writing ?

What type of case, folio or bag do you carry it in?

22. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I think the day when iPads and other tablets take over most everyday computing is very, very close. I think there will always be a place for desktops for power uses and high end gaming. Tablets have filled the lower end consumption and light creation computing area very nicely. What we are looking at is pushing the iPad up to the mid range computing area, and I think the the Pro works well to do about 85-90% of what a laptop does PLUS doing other stuff a laptop can't do. My daughter was immediately fascinated by the Pencil when she walked into the Apple store. Now, there isn't really another device that has that capability with the full range of programs/apps it will be able to be used with.

23. Codeseven, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015

Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Totally agree.

The iPad Pro's hardware capabilities are phenomenal (IMO way overkill if it was intended to be 'just' a bigger iPad, even with the new features) for it's form factor, amazing technology actually.

I AGREE, for now, with those that say it is not a laptop replacement, and with those that say it's really not much more than a larger iPad with some cool new features.

However, I'm confident it is poised to become so much more than what it is at this early stage. Once it's OS (iOS) and 'pro' level apps catch up to it's hardware it's place in the future of computing will become more apparent.

I would love to finally put aside my old and heavy 15" 2008 MBP for an iPad Pro. But the Pro isn't quite there yet, but I believe it will be, sooner rather than later.

So, the question for me is, is the Pro, at this early stage, enough to handle my day to day laptop workload? Perhaps, or should one wait to see what it matures to be first? I haven't decided yet but I'm leaning in that direction.