Will your next setup be an iMac+iPad or a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Jan 27, 2010.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

So for about the same cash, you can buy an 27" iMac+iPad or get a 15" MBP. I'm deliberating between the two options for my next setup. If the iPad had flash support, I would be all over the imac+ipad combo because that would mean i can watch hulu on the ipad. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Disclosure: I already have an iPhone, so that may skew me a bit.

I'd get the 15" MBP with an external monitor and keyboard/mouse. For me, having an iPhone and a MacBook Pro makes the iPad a needless intermediate.

3. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Yeah I agree with the first reply, I already have a 24" iMac + iPhone 3G

Once the MBPs are updated I will be selling my iMac solely for the purpose of getting the MBP.

The iPad just doesn't seem like a good product in my eyes. It's just a bloated iPod touch / iPhone - yet it can't make a phone call nor does it have a camera. Maybe the iPad v2 will have more compelling features, but for now I'll be perfect with an MBP and maybe get an external monitor for more screen space.

4. aberrero macrumors 6502a

A netbook is better. Get one with the Broadcom chip and it can do full screen Hulu. I really think hte iPad is a huge failure.

Apple might come back in a year with a major software update that really cahnges things, but for now it literally is nothing more than an iPod Touch for people who can't see too good.

5. QEII Student IT macrumors regular

QEII Student IT

As people have already said, if you have the smartphone and the notebook, there's no need for a middle thing. But I think I'll buy the iPad and use it with my eMac (yes, eMac) until I can afford an iMac. And, Steve says "the 2010 iMacs will take macs to the next level."

6. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I have an iMac and Macbook Pro for mobile use and an iPhone. Since iWork is on the iPad, I can basically replace my Macbook Pro, which is already being used as a slave device.

7. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

same problem here, I have a MBP+24 ACD, i'm thinking about changing the combo for an Imac 27 + ipad

8. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

I was thinking of going back to MBP and large monitor instead of another iMac but the iPad might change this. I expect that I'll use the iMac a lot less once I have an iPad. Perhaps I will only have 1 Mac in future.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me an iMac/iPad setup makes perfect sense and I'll probably have that setup in a few years. Right now my MBP is only a little over a year old

10. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I'm going with macbook pro + iphone. So nice to be able to open my full desktop anywhere and crack on.

Just suits my purposes. If I just needed minimal document editing and web browsing on the move I'd consider an ipad +imac, but I need horsepower on the road.

11. Comma macrumors member

iPad won't do what I need in a computer. But I need a computer to be portable. So just MBP and then maybe an iMac/Mac Pro Later on.

Maybe an iPad when I have money to throw around.

12. newdeal macrumors 68020

I need portable internet, I have it with my iphone even if it is crippled without flash, to have a desktop is pointless to me and a ipad without flash cant view many websites, unfortunately adobe is right, flash is needed. It sucks on mac though and if they really want it included they need to lose their invincable attitude and work on improving the software. Regardless I will not be buying an Ipad, I am perfectly happy with my macbook pro. If I were to buy another mac it would be a refurb 21,5" imac to replace a stationary asus laptop we have in our kitchen which works great but the screen sucks (way too dim)