Will YouTube link open in mobile YouTube or new YT app?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Lostsol, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Lostsol macrumors regular

I haven't moved to ios 6 in my 4s yet. Since the YouTube app is removed in 6 -- do YouTube links open in the mobile version of YouTube?

What happens if you have installed the new YouTube app from he app store ? Do the links then open in that app?

Just curious because I felt the old iOS YouTube was so slow that I disabled it in the restrictions and used only the mobile app.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Youtube links in safari will open the new Google YouTube app if you have it installed.

3. Lostsol thread starter macrumors regular

4. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I like the YouTube app when I am in the mood for a YouTube watching marathon, but I don't like how I am forced to the app when I'm browsing in safari. Can I disable opening the app and just have safari go to the YouTube site or mobile site when on my iPad or iPhone?

5. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

IF YOU DONT HAVE THE YOUTUBE APP, THE VID WILL PLAY IN SAFARI.
    case closed.

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Sometimes they will, but occassionally they won't. URL redirection doesn't seem very consistent.

I think it tends to misidentify links from to YouTube Mobile, but not 100% on that.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Also, I think that links to Youtube will send you to the app, but if it's an embedded video in the page itself then it just plays it within Safari.

8. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I KNOW... Case OPENED.

Let me waste some time and energy and repeat myself in case you didn't actually read my post, but took the time to try to "help" me with your infinite wizzzzdom.

9. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

NO, you can't. case closed again.

10. JMG, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

That's a better answer than the non-sequitur you gave earlier. You were affirming the consequent.

If you don't have the YouTube app, then you can play videos in safari. This is true. BUT
    If you can play videos in safari...
    That doesn't mean you have to NOT have the YouTube app.

Because there could be a setting to disable referring to the YouTube app within settings that I do not know of... Which is exactly what I was asking.

And that is exactly why your post was useless. It was an invalid non-sequitur argument because it was affirming the consequent.

11. oomek macrumors newbie

Playback quality of embedded videos in Safari on IOS6 is rubbish, maximum 480p from what i observed. I wish they could open in the Youtube app like when clicking on the YT links.