Willie Nelson cited for pot, mushrooms

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Link

AFAYETTE, Louisiana (AP) -- Willie Nelson and four others were issued misdemeanor citations for possession of narcotic mushrooms and marijuana after a traffic stop Monday morning on a Louisiana highway, state police said.

The citations were issued after a commercial vehicle inspection of the country music star's tour bus, state police said in a news release.

"When the door was opened and the trooper began to speak to the driver, he smelled the strong odor of marijuana," the news release said.

A search of the bus produced 11/2 pounds of marijuana and 0.2 pounds of narcotic mushrooms, according to state police.

A call to Nelson's publicist wasn't immediately returned.

Also cited were Tony Sizemore, 59, of St. Cloud, Florida; Bobbie Nelson, 75, of Briarcliff, Texas; Gates Moore, 54, of Austin, Texas; and David Anderson, 50, of Dallas, Texas.

Each was released after being issued a citation.

Nelson, 73, has recorded songs including "On the Road Again" and "City of New Orleans."
Let's pretend for a moment that it was a regular Joe and his buddy in a car where these police officers discovered 1.5 pounds of marijuana and .2 pounds of shrooms. Do you think Joe and his buddy would be given a written citation and then allowed to leave?

I wish these silly drug laws against regular people would go away. :mad:

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
With normal people, the cops would've accused them of intent to distribute, because of the large amount of pot. With Willie, they figured it was all for personal use, so didn't bother.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Thanatoast said:
With normal people, the cops would've accused them of intent to distribute, because of the large amount of pot. With Willie, they figured it was all for personal use, so didn't bother.
Precisely. That's why I'm so irritated by this, not that I want to see Willy go to jail or anything. His "crime" was no crime at all, or at least it shouldn't be.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Dont Hurt Me said:
Who doesnt use mushrooms when making Pizza:D
Except those types of mushrooms are the most vile tasting things I've ever eaten in my life. ;)

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
This reminds me of the time 2 years ago when David Crosby got busted. I was working one of his concerts and after the show his road manager came back looking for a 'bag' he had left behind. He had left it in his dressing room, so the road manager took it and we went on with our business. Well, the next day he apparently left the bag, containing a gun and some marijuana, behind at the hotel. One of the hotel staff found it and its contents and notified police.

I don't know about you, but I would be a bit more careful about leaving those types of things behind--two days in a row.

Finnxeon

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2006
Vermont
Funny story!
In Vermont, where i live, willie nelson has been on these commercials for senator bernie sanders, where they are both saying how importants farms are to our state......its kind of funny, but not really....BUT THERES MORE!

I was watching the interview they had with him after they filmed the commercials and he talked about his wife wanting to buy a car that ran on vegatable oil, and he said to his wife, "have you been in my stash!" and the next day this happens.....lol....figures i guess:)

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
I'm surprised Louisiana police down south done this.

Concerning the intent to distribute comment earlier... isn't charging someone with that sort of "Minority Report'ish"? No one knows if they will or won't, and it makes no sense to charge someone with a crime they have not committed. Besides, I know of plenty of people who buy in bulk, just because it's fewer interactions needed in the long run. Makes sense, economically.

And yes, do away with drugs laws, please.