Wimbledon 2014 thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by impulse462, Jun 23, 2014.

1. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Wimbledon starts today and it is definitely my favorite grand slam of the four total. Since I was 9 years old, Roger Federer has been my favorite player and I've always enjoyed watching him play, especially on grass. He and Nadal could potentially meet in the semi-finals which makes me a bit anxious as Fed is 8-0 in wimbledon semi finals, but it seems as if Nadal can handle him on any surface as of now.

Djokovic and Murray are on the opposite sides of the draw. Murray got the best of Djokovic in last years final; it will be interesting to see how Djokovic bounces back this year, especially after that relatively listless loss to Nadal in the French Open.

Anyone else excited?

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Sorry my interest in tennis stopped the day the “Anna Kournikova” stopped playing.;)

3. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Me thinks it'll be Nadal and Serena's trophies again.

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Does anyone else suddenly feel very, very old?

5. impulse462 thread starter Suspended

impulse462

Well I'm 22 now, so I guess relative to being 9 years old yes. But I honestly still feel like i'm 17, just less dumb.

In any case, Federer breezed through his first round match, I'm assuming Nadal will too.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Dude. Ana Ivanovic. Enough said. ;)

Agreed. I still think of Edberg, Bjorg, Connors, McEnroe, Sellas, Hingis, Graf, Sampras, Agassi, etc., when I think of Wimbledon.

However I will say that the best match I have seen at Center court there, was Patrick Rafter vs. Goran Ivanosevic. Guy who came in runner up so many times, was written off as a joke, came in as a wildcard, and won it. You couldn't script that better.

See the aforementioned players. :)

Seriously, I took up the sport at 14, and loved it. My baseline game and net game were great. I just couldn't keep my backhand from going out to deep right field! If I could have got that under control and been 80% or better on my serves, I would have been a good player.

They generally do. However, Djokovic is just hilarious to watch. Youtube for videos of him doing impressions. His impression of McEnroe is great, but ended up getting called out by it, because McEnroe was commentating. He immediately left, got his racket, went courtside, and.. You just have to see what happens.

BL.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I wouldn't mind seeing Fed pull off another one. He's so consistently good. I do feel a Nadal/Djokovic title coming down the pipes though.

I'm gonna pull for Raonic until he's out... let's get a Canadian Wimbledon champ!