Win 10 BootCamp on El Capitan. No Keyboard/mouse :(

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iHateMacs, Oct 19, 2015.

1. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2008
    Coventry, UK

I had Windows 8.1 running in BootCamp so I could play GTA V. Everything was going fine.

I fancied upgrading to Win 10 so I gave it a go.

The update worked ok and I was using it for a few minutes before I used Apple Software Update to download whatever it downloads.

Now when I boot up in Windows I see a nice lock screen but I cannot get past it as the keyboard and mouse are not recognised. My mouse does not light up. It does during booting and flashes on a off a few times but stays off once booted.

If I press the power button on the back of the iMac, windows will shutdown.

I am using a late 2013 iMac as per my signature.

Is there a way to fix this without having to remove the partition and install win 10 fresh with bootcamp assistant?
  2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

Apr 21, 2010
    I'll say what solved to me:

1. Have in hands wired keyboard and mouse;
    2. Start OSX;
    3. Unpair/Remove both Magic Mouse and Keyboard;
    4. Start Windows;
    5. Try pairing the bluetooth stuff. Make sure your devices are in "pairing" mode (i.e. blinking);
    6. Restart on OSX and repair the removed devices.

The procedure above allowed me to have mouse and keyboard working in both systems.

If that doesn't work, it may be a driver issue. In this case, I'd extract the Bootcamp drivers and install them one by one. Make sure you're installing the right driver for each device. In my case, I also had to download a Broadcom installer from Broadcom site for having bluetooth properly working on my Mini 2010. Good luck!
  3. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Thanks for the suggestions, I should have mentioned that the keyboard and mouse are wired already.

I did try to install drivers to the bootcamp partition from within OSX but I could not get any of the tricks to write to an NTFS drive to work :-/

The odd thing is, Yesterday I worked fine then after a reboot it didn't. So frustrating.