Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickyBiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Tyler, TX
I setup bootcamp on my new iMac core i7 with 8gb memory and a 1TB Fusion drive. Win 10 works on this setup but it is unbelievably slow. I used the latest win 10 from Microsoft and applied all the updates. It can take up to 30 seconds to load Chrome and much longer to load large applications. 2 minutes and 12 seconds to load Visual Studio 2017 community edition. The bootcamp partition has more than 100GB remaining.

Any ideas on why such capable HW runs windows so slowly?

Last edited:

mhd2100

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
Bootcamp doesn't utilize the flash/SSD portion of the fusion drive (only the slow hard disk portion). If you want a fast Windows 10 you have to upgrade to pure SSD when ordering your machine or otherwise buy an external SSD and install Windows onto that.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Now that I have a fusion drive is it possible to upgrade to 1TB ssd?
Not officially, no. Just buy a external SSD like the Samsung 850 EVO in an enclosure and you'll see a massive improvement. I run W10 in that way, and I get 430Mb/s read and write. Chalk and cheese compared to when I ran Bootcamp from the spinning HD part of my Fusion.

Reactions: PickyBiker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.