Win 10 on rMB: Something happened

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by naujoks, Aug 1, 2015.

1. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

I'm getting the dreaded "Something happened - Windows installation failed" error on my 2015 Macbook.
    I've tried to upgrade from fully updated (and legally activated) Win 8.1.
    I tried Windows Update, Media Creation Tool with the upgrade option and separate media creation using a USB stick, but all to no avail. I've changed the language and regionale to US English.

Has anyone had similar problems and managed to do it, or any other ideas of what I could try?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know about the MacBook but people have run into that issue, quite a lot it seems. I'm not sure what I could recommend since the upgrade is fairly self contained.

I wonder if went to try to clean install, i.e., wipe the drive and see if that works. I do recommend before trying anything else, backing up your bootcamp partition. I use WinClone and that will create an image that you can restore from if something really bad occurs.

3. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

The Win 8.1 installation was brand new. There really is no reason why it shouldn't work. Difficult to say if it's Microsoft's or Apple's problem. It certainly is mine.

4. gooch3265 macrumors member

I had the "something happened" error too.

Running within Windows 7 on Bootcamp I elected to use the Media Creation Tool to download an ISO to USB, then ran the setup.exe from off the USB and everything updated to Windows 10 without a hitch. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (as I had Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) and had no hassles.

I was worried that not selecting the "update this computer" option in the Media Creation Tool would cause licensing or Product Key issues, but I was never asked for a Product Key during the upgrade process and I see (so far) that Windows 10 regards itself as validated and legitimate.

5. rc0310 macrumors member

I'm running into the same problem and have trouble upgrading from Win 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro on my 2015 MacBook via Bootcamp..

still trying to find a way to upgrade without purchasing a new Win 10 key.

6. svale macrumors member

I was in the exact same boat. Clean Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro on rMB kept coming up with a "Something Happened" error during the first attempted restart.

Not sure what helped me in the end, but I tried running the setup.exe file using "Run as Administrator" and also moving the mouse around during the attempted restart and it finally worked.

Now running Win 10, fully activated, and I can now do a clean install in the future to bypass this ridiculous issue.