Win 3.11 on Fusion would not run

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gugus2000, Dec 15, 2009.

1. gugus2000 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I had an old Windows 3.11 installation on Virtual PC running. Some (long) time ago I imported this VM into Parallels. As far as I remember this worked. Later on I then imported the Parallels Win 3.11 into an older version of VMWare Fusion. DOS boots but when I get to starting Windows the Window 3.11 splash screen appears but then it is replaced by a text error message stating that there was an error (just that there was one, nothing about its nature) and that Windows could not be started. I had a reference to some Connectix startup item in autoexec.bat. Removed this but the error still comes up. My Windows 3.11 know-how is long gone and I have never been a crack at it anyway. So where would I have to look for a) better diagnosis of the error, and b) what has to be configured where (in Windows and/or Fusion).
    Thanks for any help/ideas/insights

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Good luck getting that to run, getting it to run on a standard PC wasn't always the most fun. Windows 3.11, all I can say is, "WHY?"

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My only advice is to avoid windows 3.11 completely and move to something a little more current. Its like asking for support on running system 7 on an iMac. It's just not going to happen.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Please don't tell us you need to use important software that only runs on Win 3.11. :eek:

Besides the latest version of Solitaire is so much better.
    ;)

5. gugus2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, but yes! This is OT but here is why: I have a very old commercial application in a built and installable version and I also have the full source, however without any build settings or makefile nor any comments other than what little can be found in the source files. The only thing I know is that MS Visual Studio 4 is required to build the whole thing (some 500+ C-files, >500'000 lines of code). The software is not 32 bit compatible and the installer will not even run on anything above 3.11. Eventually I want to understand the code and port it to modern architecture (Mac OS X that is). This has been a hobby project for well over a decade now. Anyway, a large portion of the code is platform agnostic, it is only the GUI part and some low level file-I/O that needs a rewrite. It would be absolutely great to be able to build and debug/trace the original project so I can get a better understanding of it all. Thus I need Windows 3.11.

I had the complete setup including MS Visual Studio 4 running in (then Connectix) Virtual PC on a PowerMac. The PowerMac isn't anymore. Today I need it in VMWare Fusion. After the import Windows will not start anymore. As said, 3.11 splash screen shows then generic error message stating that there is "a problem". So I need help in setting up Windows 3.11 in Fusion and I need help in finding out what the problem might be.

Thanks a lot

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only other advice to give then is buy a powerpc based mac and run your app on that.

7. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

It's been along time since I used Windows 3.11, but I'm going to guess that the problem is the hardware of the machine has changed so Windows cannot start. The most likely issue is that Windows is configured to use the wrong type of video card. I think if you are in DOS, you can do a 'cd \windows' and then 'setup' to configure the hardware.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Even though Windows didn't get Safe Mode until later, there were command line switches for windows to deal with hardware changes like this. "win /s" launches windows in "Standard Mode". I found a list of them here: http://www.computerhope.com/win3x.htm

You might also just try WIN /B to create a logfile which could help you or others pinpoint the problem.

B

10. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I know this is completely unhelpful but I can really see no excuse (although I did read your explanation) for running a program that was programmed 20 years ago. Let code that old die the death it has coming to it. I think Windows 3.11 has collector's value at this point it's so old.

As to the reason, I agree with above posters that it is likely the hardware and the new Fusion changes.

11. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

But you're running a program (Mac OS X) that has code that is 20 years+ old...

http://www.osnews.com/story/19731/The-25-Year-Old-UNIX-Bug

12. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I had Widows 3.11 working in a VM in Fusion for a while. I just did it for kicks, but it worked fine.

Just do some Googling. There are install .iso files, driver packs, and instructions in a few places. Good luck.

13. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Of course both OS X and Windows 7 have very fundamental old code in the system but there have been so many more changes that impact the product to make it not the same as it was 20 years ago. Kind of like a car has parts in it that were designed 75 years ago or more, we would not say that they are the same per se, just improved beyond a doubt which is the difference between driving a model T and a modern car. If you like model T's that's fine, but there is undeniably no functional improvement that they still offer.