Win 7 and 2G RAM?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by StruckANerve, Dec 9, 2009.

1. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Am I asking for trouble if I try to install a copy of 64 bit Windows 7 in bootcamp onto my Imac without upgrading to 4G of Ram? I though I read somewhere that it is possible but not recommended. I don't really want Windows for anything other than gaming.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

There's no problem using 64-bit with only 2GB ram. I've done it on the Air before. I ended up using 32-bit because theres less disk space being used.

3. bcrguy macrumors regular

since your gonna be using it for gaming you might want to look into upgrading the ram.. overkill never hurts..

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Which iMac? 4 GB could be pretty cheap and easy to install.

B

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Won't really affect things too much. It will give you the option to upgrade to 4GB and be able to use it all in the future.

6. StruckANerve thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the late 08 iMac. 8,1. So I will have to replace both RAM sticks or buy one 4 G which is kind of pricey.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Why not just upgrade a single stick? It's like $50 and it'll give you an extra gig.

8. No ice please macrumors 6502

I'm using 2gb on vista. Works fine I only use about 800mbs when using chrome, itunes, and maybe a couple of explorer windows.

9. StruckANerve thread starter macrumors 6502

I might just do that for now and then later on upgrade the other stick. Another thing I forgot to mention is I'm not on OS 10.6 which means I don't have bootcamp 3.0. Are there any snags I should worry about?

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I did this exact thing, using Windows for gaming, when I got my MacBook Pro (except I used Vista64 at the time). Everything worked just fine, but when I upgraded from 2 to 4 GB, wow. Talk about a significant bump in performance. Unfortunately, RAM prices have gone up over the past few months, but you could still get a 4GB kit for under $100 (or if you'd rather wait for the prices to drop, that's cool too). Either way, definitely upgrade to 4 GB at some point. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.

In the meantime, if you have a spare flash drive that's at least 1 GB in size, you could plug it in and use it for ReadyBoost. I did this, and did notice a difference in performance. But once you upgrade to 4 GB of RAM, ReadyBoost has no longer has any noticeable affect. But only certain flash drives work with ReadyBoost. To find out if yours works, just plug it in, go to My Computer, right click the flash drive and select Properties, then click the ReadyBoost tab. Or, when you first insert the device it should give you the option there too.

11. StruckANerve thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay I am finally getting around to installing Windows 7 but ran into a problem. I don't have Snow Leopard, therefor I don't have Bootcamp 3.0 so when I try to start the install it tells me the media doesn't have the necessary device drivers and to install them first. Do I have to have Snow Leopard to get the drivers I need?