Win 7 Bootcamp move to new hard drive...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by defender, Sep 20, 2010.

1. defender macrumors member

defender

I have a win 7 installation on its own drive in my mac pro. I now need to move it to a new hard drive. In mac I would use super duper or carbon copy cloner to just copy the lot onto another drive whilst making it bootable. How would I do this with the windows drive?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. defender thread starter macrumors member

defender

Unfortunately after purchasing Acronis Trueimage home (and the plus pack), it turns out it does not support GPT volumes (GUID). So will not work. Is there anything about that does support GPT volumes?

I'm remembering why I used to dislike windows so much, why isn't this stuff just straight forward!

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I suppose you could create a system image of your Windows partition on an external disc using the Backup and Restore feature in Windows 7. Then, after you've put in your new hard drive, boot from your Windows disc, select Repair my computer and then select restore from a system image.

I've done this on other Windows machines and it works well enough but I have never tried this on a Mac.

5. Nellie32 macrumors newbie

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You should have used the free trial. The Plus Pack adds GPT support to Acronis.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/plus-pack.html

Didn\'t they offer it to you on checkout?

B

7. flyingphish macrumors newbie

i too have a macpro5,5 and want to move my windows install off of a hhd in bay 1 and onto an ssd in the lower optical bay. in osx id use ccc. in windows7 id use acronis with plus pack? but OP said it didnt work, although the website says it does. and the free trial doesnt come with the plus pack it seems.

wah wah wah, i know. my apologies.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In the 2010 version the Plus Pack was available with the free trial. I bought that and it works well on my MBP, though I most often use it for imaging external drives.

If both of your drives are dedicated and use MBR partition tables, the free trial would be fine.

As Nellie32 previously mentioned, Winclone will generally work fine too, but is no longer supported, and now that the twocanoes.com site is offline I have a hard time recommending it.

B

9. flyingphish macrumors newbie

10. defender thread starter macrumors member

defender

The trial of Acronis will not clone drives. The plus pack does not support GPT cloning, although it only says this quietly in the knowledgebase.
    http://kb.acronis.com/content/6533

I've found Paragon Backup and Recovery which is free and says it allows backup of gpt drives, I am currently trying this out.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm paranoid so I always use an image file as an intermediate. Backup to image and restore from image both seem to work.

Surprising that Paragon has free tools. They're typically on the $$ end of things. Let us know how it goes!

B

12. defender thread starter macrumors member

defender

The paragon software also did not work. I hope everyone who is using these tools to backup GUID windows disks are testing the images. Eventually I gave up and just re-installed windows, it was a lot quicker than just restoring from one image.
    I have to say that Acronis support where very good and refunded me without any hassle. As soon as they are able to properly support GUID then I will re-purchase.

13. mcfly2 macrumors member

I'm attempting to do the same thing (move my Win7 installation from one drive to a new drive.) I've installed the Acronis TrueImage Home 2011 trial version. There are all kinds of options to do backups, but I assume I want the 'Clone disk' option. Is this correct? Only problem is that it's stated that this option is not available in the trial version. Am I missing something?