Win 7 install on macbook air

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dread, Jan 3, 2012.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

I would like to install windows 7 on my macbook air but have a few questions. I am new to mac so I really have no idea how to do this or what many of the terms mean that are used freely in this forum. Your simplest responses will be appreciated.

The install:

I can get a copy from my university and but it requires burning it to a dvd. Can I install the dvd using remote disk with my wife's macbook pro? If not what else can I do to get this installed?

Use:

I have a copy of parallels, but plan to install win 7 using bootcamp and then installing parallels so that I can boot into windows 7 or use it side by side in lion. Will I need to be running an antivirus program even when I am not using windows or running any windows programs using parallels. In other words will my computer be slower when not running any windows programs? I only plan to use windows when I have to so I don't won't to have an antivirus running all the time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

For the installation remote disk should work if not you can download the iso from here and put it on a usb if you then use the product key that your university gives you with windows. I'd recommend skipping bootcamp and just installing in parallels directly. Why would you want to be limited to the use of one OS at a time? As for antivirus, install it on the windows partition in parallels. When parrallels isn't running it won't slow you down. I hope this helps.

3. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will just install windows with parallels and avoid bootcamp. The link for the iso didn't work, but I found another through google. I was unaware that they could be downloaded so that helps a lot. Thanks again.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Glad this works let me know if you have other questions.