Win 7 install stalls, says must be NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Skald, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Skald macrumors member

Skald

I'm trying to install a fresh copy of Win 7 on my brand new MacBook Pro. I did check out Apple support and these forums.

I just did all software updates (Sept 1, 2010). I'm using 10.6.4, Boot Camp Assistant 3.0.2. Mac is 13", i.e. 250GB HD.

I asked Boot Camp Assistant to partition 50GB for Windows (mere guess). I followed the procedure, inserted Win 7 32bit CD, and got stalled at the screen asking which partition I want to use.

The fourth choice seems right ("Disk 0, Partition 3, 50GB, 50GB free, Primary") but when I select this or any of the others the error message is "Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS," with no further suggestion.

I would have expected Boot Camp Assistant to format, but apparently not. On the screen offering the four partition choices, there are other options, including "drive options" which leads to "format," "extend," etc., without explanation. I did not select "format" because of my unfortunately personal history of regretted experimentation in automotive and house repairs.

What should I do?

2. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

3. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Yeah, just format that specific partition and you'll be able to install Win7 with no issues.

Good luck!

4. Skald thread starter macrumors member

Skald

Thank you all for those immediate replies. I have selected "format" and Windows is doing its thing, while I settle back with some Foster's ale and hope for the best.

5. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Reboot with the Windows 7 install disc, when you reach the screen that ask if you want to install or run a repair. At that point, there should be a taskbar option, from here you use run to get to the command line, type in CMD at run.

From the command line you're going to format the partition. After formatting, you can go back and continue the install.

format C: /fs:ntfs

6. Skald thread starter macrumors member

Skald

How to get out of Windows, back to OSX

OK, I managed to get Windows installed. I went to System Preferences to reboot as Windows (and I did not think that I set this up as the default, but who knows) but now I cannot figure out how to get back. The Mac boots into Windows. Is there a key to be held down when I boot to start in OSX?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hold Alt/Option during boot.

B

8. Skald thread starter macrumors member

Skald

Cancel that

Found the answer (alt). Sorry to waste your time.

9. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Make sure you get the latest Boot Camp drivers for Windows 7 installed now that you're up and running. On Boot Camp 3.0 drivers, I found the trackpad a little hit and miss when using Windows. However, after they were updated to 3.1, it works like a dream. :)