Win 7 on 2006 black macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by acidburn, Aug 23, 2010.

1. acidburn macrumors member

I am getting ready to start a PhD program in computer science and want to be able to run software in Windows for school. I am trying to decide if it's worth it for me to dual boot my current laptop or consider upgrading.
    I have a 2006 black macbook (macbook 2,1) maxed out with 2 gb of ram - core 2 due 2.0 ghz. I upgraded the HD last summer to 500 gb so I would have plenty of space.
    I am likely to need to run Matlab, Maple, and will need some computational geometry libraries for classes in the next year. I think I can do some of these things in OS X but I have heard that Matlab is very slow in OS X so I would like to run it in Windows.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Yes you can install windows on that machine via dual boot or virtual machine. Depending on your Mac OS, if you're running Leopard or Snow Leopard, you can use Boot Camp to make a windows partition to install 7.

Your MacBook is able to handle 4GB of RAM but only 3.3GB of it will be utilized. The 2GB maximum threshold refers to the core duo MacBook (1,1) introduced in May '06.

Hope this helps -GDF

3. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

If you are about to get a PhD in Computer Science you should not be asking questions like that on the forum but do your own research, compile data from various sources and draw an appropriate conclusion. I only have a BS in said discipline and even I know that much.

4. acidburn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info about ram - I didn't know that, but am looking into it.
    The second comment is unnecessary - why even bother posting that? I'm not trolling and I just want some anecdotal evidence about running Windows so why the attitude? If you can't offer anything helpful, just don't bother reading the question or wasting time writing such a reply.

5. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Quit trolling. I guess studying for so long with computers has left you with a limited knowledge of social relations with other people. The OP has a legitimate question... why waste his time and yours by belittling him for no reason at all? I'm a journalism major, but I don't write front-page editorials every time I want to sell something on Craigslist. Don't be so holier-than-thou, especially since you're only full of "BS" (see what I did there? :D) Get a life.

OP: You can run Windows 7 using Boot Camp (included if you're running 10.5 or higher). It should work based on your requirements, though if you have the money it'd be good to upgrade to a MacBook Pro. Those programs you plan to use are very CPU-intensive and it might be worth it in the long run to upgrade to one of the i5-based MBP's. Give it a try first though and let us know how it works :p

6. acidburn thread starter macrumors member

Ouch, I didn't mean to come off sounding holier-than-thou with the phd comment, I guess I'm trying to communicate that I'm going to be in school for a while and that I'm likely to need it for stuff other than office. I'm sorry if people took it in that way, but if you knew me in person you would know that I'm not a holier-than-thou type person at all.

7. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Not you, I was talking to Synchromesh.. hence why I quoted him and not you. :D

8. acidburn thread starter macrumors member

Fast/Furious - no worries and thanks for the advice.