Win 7 on a Macbook questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Evolution13, May 20, 2011.

1. Evolution13 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm trying to install windows 7 64 bit on a Macbook with a 2.26 ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs of ram and a 250 gig HD.

I'm doing this for a Doctor friend of mine so he can run some windows only medical software on his mac. I'll admit to being mostly a PC guy but I'm slowly dipping into the mac world from the shallow end of the pool.

My biggest problem is I don't have the OS X disk, His son set the macbook up for him and may have taken the disk with him, I'll order a new one from Apple if I have to, but I'm impatient! I know I need some windows drivers and boot camp files off the osx disk and I'm wondering if I can get what I need off the internet?

I've also noticed that the touchpad doesn't seem to do right clicks. (I was hoping tapping the bottom right edge of the pad would work) Is this a driver problem, something in settings, or do I just need to use an external mouse when I'm booted into windows?

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

If the Mac book has only 2GB of RAM then a 64bit version of windows would be wasted as one if its benefits is addressing 4GB of RAM and more, a 32bit version would be more, however perhaps this is the only copy your friend has or he wants a 64bit version for other reasons. There are two ways you can install Windows, a free way if you already have a copy of Windows to install using a method called 'boot camp' or by purchasing software to run on the Mac in a virtual environment, software such as Parallels or Fusion. If you choose to go the boot camp method then you will need the Mac OS X disc that came with the Mac book to install drivers, although its possible you may be able to download them as well, I suggest you Google that. Boot camp essentially allows you to create a partition on the drive for Windows, install Windows and then when you power on the Mac book, hold down the option key and you'll be presented with an option to boot into either OS X or Windows. If you go into Utilities on the Mac book you'll see a Boot camp icon, click on it and follow the steps, but as I said, you'll need the original OS X disc to install drivers in Windows after its installed.

If you want to enable right clicking on the touch pad, click on the system preferences icon and then click on the track pad icon.

Good luck!

3. Evolution13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me clarify a few things.. I've already used boot camp to partition the hard drive and install windows 7.. I decided to use the 64 bit version of home premium as I've noticed I get better performance off the 64 bit version even with less than 4 gigs of memory. It wasn't untill afterwards that I realized I needed the OSX disk.

As for right clicking.. if I enable it while booted into osx is that going to affect anything on the windows partition?