Win 7 on a new drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sdp, Mar 31, 2010.

1. sdp macrumors member

Hi all,

I've tried searching and reading some articles etc, but I'm just getting confused. I have a macpro from the '09 refresh as well as Snow Leopard. I have win xp home running on a 100gig partition on my system drive. I bought win7 upgrade as I own a full retail version of xp.

Now, I understand that you can't do a simple upgrade with xp-win7 and that you have to do a sorta erase install.

Here's what I'd LIKE to do:

I'd like to install win7 on a new, physically different hard drive. I would LOVE to be able to leave the XP on the original bootcamp partition while I move things over. Possible?:confused:

I have 3 physical hardrives installed in my machine: A system (640gig), one that I use for Final cut renders/autosave etc (500gig) and now a blank one (500gig) that i'd like for just windows 7.

Can this be done? Or do i HAVE to install over the xp? If so, to do what i want, do I have to trash the XP and partition and then re-create it on the new drive...and then load win 7 on that?

last thing - is 64bit working ok? Do i need a special version of bootcamp for that?

thanks so much y'all!!
    sdp

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

W764 should work just fine.

Google "Thurrott windows 7 clean install" for a guide that will lead you through an install of w7 from upgrade media that won't mess with your current xp. Note that per the license you can't run xp once you've used it to qualify for the upgrade. But they don't check in any way.

B

3. sdp thread starter macrumors member

thanks. i'd read that. My hesitation is that sometimes his methods "just work" and other times not.

I'm gonna re-instal xp on the free drive and then do a normal "upgrade". I backed it all up last night

again, thanks for your help.
    sdp

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It ends up doing pretty much the same thing since you physically can't upgrade from XP to 7. You have to do a "custom" install.

B