Win 7 on External HDD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aceuk, Mar 21, 2014.

1. aceuk macrumors newbie

aceuk

If I Instal Vmware on a Windows 7 PC and install a copy of Windows 7 on a external HDD(USB 3.0) ,
    will my IMac( late 2013 version) with Vmware see the drive and run the Windows 7 on it when connected.
    Also Do I need to have the same version of Vmware on both machines.
    Will the proformance/speed be ok for running windows games (not FPS) and office work .
    Thanx

2. aceuk thread starter macrumors newbie

aceuk

3. freeuser macrumors regular

can't help you on installing Win7 on an external harddisk

because it's known not an easy way and for me to much hassel. but maybe this will be a solution for you too, what I have done:

installed Mavericks on an external Thunderbolt SSD, installed Parallels 9 with Windows 8.1 in it, and it's running great!

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I just tried to do the same using USB 3. Does not work, however I have seen that it does with Thunderbolt. Really unfortunate that Windows 7 doesn't support this. Windows 8 now supports external booting via Windows-to-go. There are some hacks and ways around this but to me it just wasn't worth it.

For your scenario I am not sure if Windows 7 will boot from a PC to Mac even in VMWare because of hardware differences. Might be wrong on this.

5. aceuk thread starter macrumors newbie

aceuk

Thanks for your input.
    So It looks like I'll have to get a Thunderbolt drive if I want to do this.
    That has put the price up.
    I was looking at getting a Hard disk enclosure(£30) and putting my 1TB drive in it.