Win 7 on my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by S7A2G6, Aug 25, 2011.

1. S7A2G6 macrumors member

S7A2G6

So I am taking a computer class as a filler. The class is based on Windows 7. Got me to thinking:

I have the means to put Windows 7 on my Mac or I can just get Office 11. I have not messed with a PC in a few years, so I was thinking if I just BootCamp Win 7 and install Office with it, I should be good to go.

Is there anything remotely great about Win 7? Would I get any use out of it other than the filler class I am taking this semester?

2. unixperience macrumors regular

you could possibly one day play games? ......................... i don't use windows for anything except programs that require it.
    If you do get bootcamp, you can also try virtualbox, its like parallels/vmware, but free, isn't really good for graphics. but it will run your windows programs just fine

3. S7A2G6 thread starter macrumors member

S7A2G6

That is the thing, I don't know what Windows prigs I would run... I think I would be better off just doing Office for Mac and suffering doing my HW on campus.

Would "gestures" work if I put 7 on my MBP? How does that work (the trackpad)?

4. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

gestures don't work in Windows. it just works like a regular trackpad (with one button lol)

5. Nioxic macrumors regular

gestures would have to be supported by the software.. this is why its not working in all programs you're using in OS X either. (i read its not working fairly well in chrome)

You can easily install office on OSX. i have that.. i cba to install windows 7 for just a few programs. Theres usually an alternative.. (not always, but usually)

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Windows 7

Is a little better than Vista, but if it were me, I'd buy a copy of Office for Mac. If you do play games, more are trickling through the new MacApp store now.

I have not bothered with bootcamp at all....My iMac is staying "pure":)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Windows 7 is Microsoft's best OS to date. A well performing solid OS with some improvements over prior releases. With that said if you have little need to run any specific program on windows then there's little need for it. You have access to a larger library of games and software but if you're content with OSX then its hard to justify anything else

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If you can live without it for the filler class, I'd pass unless you want to game. Office on the Mac gives me the one thing I still cannot live without - Word.