Win 7 partition self format

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NZed, Apr 27, 2011.

1. NZed, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Now I want to install windows 7 in my 2010 MBP. Boot camp always tell me to backup format and restore which is an option I don't want to do! Now can I partition my own win 7 partition from disk utilities and install? Would boot camp drivers still work?

TIA

sorry if this has been aske many times

i found this post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1144037

but its very confusing

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You can partition your hard drive using Disk Utility and then install Windows onto the new partition. Just remember to name the partition into something that you'll recognise easily during the Windows install, such as BOOTCAMP, and format it as MS-DOS.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

But if BCA can't make contiguous space, Disk Utility won't be able to either. (They both call the same underlying helper utilities).

You need to boot from your OS X install disc and run Disk Utility from that for it to be any different than the results from Boot Camp Assistant.

The other difference to keep in mind when installing without BCA, is that the Startup Disk won't be set to Windows so you will have to hold Alt/Option to select the appropriate boot drive every time it wants to reboot until you get it installed.

B

4. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

Boot camp just worked for me last night!

All i did was just moved huge files that i have to my external HD and tried running BCA. It failed. So i rebooted and ran it again. Guess what? It worked!

Thanks anyways guys!