Win 7 partition size mistake

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gman901, Jun 15, 2013.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

So last night I was having a lot of problems installing a 64 bit version of Windows 7 home on my new Haswell Air. I attempted a 3rd install using bootcamp assistant and hit the enter button too many times that it jumped right to creating the default partition of 20 GB. I couldn't stop it, however it actually installed fine. After disabling hibernation and limiting the page file to min/max 1.5 gb, the total size used with most of the updates installed (except SP1) came to 18 gb. Since I only use bootcamp for playing Steam games off an external thumb drive, should I be worried about my initial partition size? If I started over again, would I have problems with my Windows activation considering this would be the third time using the same product key for only 1 computer? I appreciate your response in advance!

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I assume you'll be installing Windows updates, in which case 2gb of free space is going to be used up quickly. I'd correct it now before it's an issue, just go back to bootcamp utilities, uninstall Windows, and reinstall it with the desired size.

3. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I actually ended up with 18.6 GB after the 20 GB was formatted. I figured out how to set the page file to 1GB and now I have 4.3 GB free. I think that will be good as long as only windows updates are installed. I don't see any impact to my system performance after reducing the page file.

4. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Good to hear. I had 3 or 4 gb's free after my install a few months ago only to see all of that gobbled up by updates. I thought I was good since I only use Windows 7 for printing (my thermal printer just won't work consistently with OS X). I had to remove and reinstall Windows using Bootcamp to have a larger Windows partition.

I had read there are a few different paid programs (and one free) that claim they can adjust partition sizes, but the reviews are hit and miss with quite a few people claiming they destroy the OS X installation, so that's not appealing.

Best wishes.