Win 7 serial number

bobbypotluck

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I recently purchased an upgrade download for windows 7 online. i ended up buying windows 7 professional but now realize it's not eligible for an upgrade from windows vista home basic, only custom install. My question is, if i were to obtain a copy of the windows 7 home upgrade instead of pro, can i use the serial number i purchased for windows 7 professional on a win7 home install, or are they specific to version?

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The serial numbers tend to be fairly specific. In fact in Vista all the install media were identical and the key was the only inication of which version you had bought, so it's unlikely that will work.

Can you return it to the place you bought it? Sell it to someone who wants W7 Pro?

Are you sure you really want to do an in-place upgrade?

Many of us prefer a clean install when upgrading the OS, since it tends to clear out a lot of the cruft that builds up over time...

B

Comment

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
you will be able to do a clean install with your upgrade disk.

Do 1 clean install without entering any serial number, then from within the newely installed windows 7 run setup.exe from the windows 7 CD again and let it do an Upgrade. This time enter our serial and all will work :)

Comment

bobbypotluck

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
i got it for free through the MSDNAA program at my school. The only one currently being offered is win 7 pro. i know you can do a custom install, but i'm doing it for a friend who doesn't know much about computers and i really dont want to go through the hassle of backing up their files for them. i guess i'm out of luck

Comment

dave92

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
balamw's right in saying it's specific to professional, but maybe if you got hold of the upgrade disk for windows 7 home premium but no serial, you could use it to upgrade from vista basic to 7 home premium without a key, and then upgrade that to professional using the key?

it may be risky in terms of losing file though, not 100% sure it'd work...

good luck! :)

Comment

bobbypotluck

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
she is also a student at the school. she has her own account, but no knowledge of what it really is :) she wants win7 because it's "prettier" than vista. i think its not worth the effort.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.