Win 8.1 Activation in Boot Camp and VMware

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by scotty588, Jan 9, 2015.

1. scotty588 macrumors 6502

I recently wiped my bootcamp Win 7 install to update to Win 8.1. No problems with the install, everything went fine. I entered in my legitimate key and it activated. I loaded up Vmware in OSX and I find that I can't activate while in Vmware. It says the key is in use by another computer.

I've already read the 2 support articles (here and here) on the Vmware site talking about this issue. The solution states to install the Vmware tools which I already did and it made no difference even after I uninstalled and followed the steps.

I never had this issue with Win 7 with bootcamp and Vmware. It activated fine on both. Is anyone successfully running an activated copy of Win 8 in both bootcamp (native) and in Vmware with a single user license key?

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It might be possible but it is in violation of the Microsoft license.
    One computer (physical or virtual) per license.
    The reason you were successful with Windows 7 was because that OS wasn't as stringent in its hardware checking.
    Windows 8 checks on every boot and it can detect that the two machines are not the same.

3. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that sucks. I don't really want to buy another license. Would that even work without changing the key depending on which I boot? Would need a multi license key.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Some people have said they've had luck with calling the Microsoft 800 number and explaining the situation.
    Worth a shot.

5. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've done it, its not a violation of the EULA. You're running windows on a single computer. Call the number, type in the numbers you need and then answer the question (is this the only computer its on) and they'll give you a new set of numbers to type in.

7. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

So when it says "is this the only computer it's on" what did you answer? It won't deactivate the key on boot camp native and activate the VMware copy?

8. chrfr macrumors 603

If you answer "1" you'll get an activation code, and if VMWare Tools are installed, it will not affect the original activation.

9. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like that worked. Thanks!

10. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Yeah, it actually is.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

The use of Windows in a virtualized Bootcamp environment is a gray area. It's only a single installation and it's both a physical and virtual environment. Microsoft's license terms don't really address it one way or the other.

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It's a clear violation. Nothing gray about it.
    They specifically say that a physical machine and a virtual machine each require their own license.
    Bootcamp is the physical machine.
    Vmware is the virtual machine.
    I get that this is an Apple-focused board but that doesn't mean that other companies EULAs should be ignored.

13. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

Technically it's just 1 install though. I'm not running Vmware off an image on my hard drive. It's using the bootcamp partition to boot to Windows.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I answered 1 because that's the truth. I have windows running on a single computer. Just because it boots up either in VM or bootcamp, is immaterial.