Win 8.1 DL from MS site... "for Win 7 users only"?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by terzinator, Nov 16, 2013.

1. terzinator macrumors 6502

I've already been running Win 7 for years on VMWare fusion, but would like to demo Win 8 (keeping Win 7).

I was wondering what the best way is to get Win8 for a VMWare VM on my 15" rMBP, but on the MS page for the 8.1 download...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro/productID.288401500

it says "Windows 8.1 Pro is for Windows 7 users only."

I assume it means they think you'll upgrade your Win 7 machine to Win 8.1. But what if you want a separate Win 8.1 VM? Do you just use your Win 7 key, and still keep your Win 7 VM?

I suppose I could get a Win 8.1 DVD and use a SuperDrive, but a download would be nice.

(And is that download an iso file?)

2. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

The Windows 8.1 ISO you'd get from the MS store is a full retail version, so you can definitely do a clean install with the 8.1 product key. Microsoft, for some reasons, is positioning Win 8/8.1 as an upgrade for previous versions of Windows, that's why it says only Win 7 users can do the 8.1 direct upgrade without losing any apps/files.

3. terzinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent, good to know. Thanks