Win 8.1/OS X 10.9 - File Sharing over Wifi - Help Needed

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by nope7308, Jan 22, 2014.

1. nope7308, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I have a 3TB HDD in my desktop PC that I use to store media files such as movies, music, etc. I want to be able to read/write to this drive over WIFI using my MBP that's running OS X Mavericks.

I managed to do this previously by establishing some kind of SMB connection, but the filing sharing only worked in one direction. For example, if I was using my MBP, I could transfer the file from the PC to the MBP, but not the other way around. To do that, I had to create a similar SMB connection on the PC, and then use the PC to transfer files from the MBP. I hope you were able to follow that...

Anyway, I had to reinstall Windows on the PC, and now I can't find the tutorial that I used previously to create the SMB connection. Briefly, I want to know if there's an easier way to share files over my wifi network. Ideally, I want to be able to read/write to the 3TB HDD in the PC when I'm using my MBP in the other room. That is, I want to be able to transfer files both from the PC and to the PC using the MBP.

How do I do this?

P.S. The SMB connection I had previously was really slow. In fact, I wasn't able to watch movies over Wifi without stuttering. I had to download the movie to the MBP, and then open the file. Is there any way to improve the transfer speed? I have a new airport extreme, so the router shouldn't be a bottleneck.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer