win 8 customisation. WHAT WITH?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tug, Jan 18, 2014.

1. tug macrumors 6502

hi guys, can anybody finally resolve this for me and everybody else who is suffering this problem.

trying to install win 8 in bootcamp on my late 2012 iMac 21.5, 2.7GHz i5 8GB ram.

done everything, installed all the software, and my purchased legit copy of win 8 using usb 2 flash drive. everything goes perfectly, mouse and keyboard working perfectly right up until the customise screen then NOTHING! no keyboard, no mouse, nothing!

i know this has been asked and covered by thousands of folk having the same problem but every solution hasn't worked for me. i have been searching all over the net for weeks now and nothing works.

i also know there are some brilliant guys on here who could hopefully help me and others with the same problem.

oh, and i was originally using a usb 3 flash, and read that it solves the prob if you use usb 2. it doesn't. :(

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Hmm... i can offer you two solutions

Can you get to the desktop, like skipping the personalize screen? So you can download the apple drivers. Is your iMac wired or bluetooth keyboard? Try using a wired keyboard and mouse.

If that doesn't work, try going to windows 7 and upgrading from there. It should work, because i just did it myself a few hours ago.

If none of this helps, sorry.

3. IA64 macrumors 6502

Well I am not sure if I understand your issue the way you mean it, but I've been in the same situation where USB 3 driver was needed and mouse/keyboard won't work after customization. The solution was to boot Windows in legacy mode only one time to install the drivers from bootcamp :

What I did was :
    Go to terminal

- type diskutil list

Find the disk slice for your bootcamp and type

sudo /usr/sbin/bless --device /dev/disk1s2 --setBoot --nextonly --legacy

Replace disk1s2 by the disk of bootcamp you find in diskutil command

This will enable legacy boot only on the next restart so you will have to install your drivers when you login else the next boot will not have the mouse or anything else working.

4. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

hi,thanks for the reply. yes i have managed to bypass the customise screen only to be greeted with the name and password screen! although at this point the mouse and keyboard now work i haven't created a name or password so i am unable to get past this.

so i put my microsoft n/p in but "you have to be connected to the internet" dialogue comes up! so frustrating :mad:

i have also gone down the win 7 route (first thing i thought of) everything goes well until the purchase codes page and..... no mouse or keyboard!

using a wired mouse has no benefit either that doesn't work!

5. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

hi, thanks for the reply. i would love to try your suggestion but i am a little cautious when doing anything in terminal (had a nasty episode in there once and had to re-instal osx :D )

i would really appreciate it if you could spare the time to explain how to do this in simpler terms for me, i am not afraid of terminal, i just want to do it properly.

thanks again.

6. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Are your Windows Support drivers on the same USB as your Windows installer?

7. IA64 macrumors 6502

Nothing really special :

- type diskutil list - > will show you the number of disks on your computer and partitions ( slices to identify which partition is which slice )

Find the disk slice for your bootcamp and type

sudo /usr/sbin/bless --device /dev/disk1s2 --setBoot --nextonly --legacy -->

This will tell the bootcamp partition to boot in legacy mode:

--setBoot -- nextonly : means that only on the next boot this setting will take place ( booting in legacy mode )

No matter what happens, the command won't harm anything. If it doesn't help, another restart will clear it.

It was much helpful in my case using a usb mouse/keyboard.

8. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

i used an ethernet cord, i forgot i had it plugged in but it seemed to be just fine. Then i remembered when i couldn't right click that i had to reinstall the apple drivers.

9. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

hi, yes i have them together on the same drive, i have followed every instruction from having the software on a separate drive to having one drive in the far left usb port on my mac with the support/software on it and having the drive with win 8 in the far right usb port!

personally i thought that was a bit on the strange side but i am willing to try anything once :D

thanks for your reply.

----------

thankyou for your time IA64 its appreciated, i have followed your instructions but unfortunately to no avail. still no mouse/keyboard at customisation screen.

----------

hi, i have access to usb wired mouse only. i could use the onscreen board if only it would work. but thanks for the kind reply, appreciated.

10. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

YAAAAAY! I've finally done it! the wired usb mouse i was using was NOT WORKING! so i borrowed another off my neighbour and presto! i got into win 8 straight away. but...... the mouse and keyboard would not connect!

i had installed bootcamp in the windows side and loaded everything, updated till i couldn't do anymore. i was just about to give up altogether when i went into bluetooth devices and set it to run, after a few minutes my magic mouse appeared on the screen asking me to pair! YES!

then there was a small issue of the keyboard, after another minute or so that appeared and it also paired, YES!

so after about 2 weeks i finally got it done. now however, good old microsoft tells me my copy of win 8 is not activated so i put my product code in and.......yes you've got it, its not recognised!

well thats for another day!

thankyou to all who replied, i appreciate it greatly. :)

11. Quackers macrumors 6502a