Win 8 on iMac why so terrible?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gadgetgirl85, Jun 15, 2014.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Am running Windows 8 using parallels on my 27" 2013 quad core iMac with 8gb ram and it runs terribly. It's laggy and slow. Is it lack of ram or no ssd? Would there be any benefit to running it native in bootcamp?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Windows running natively will be faster and less laggy, to be sure. I'm running bootcamp and prefer that over a virtualized solution.

I was running Vmware with win7 and that was ok, but I wanted a better experience and so I went the bootcamp route and also embraced win8 which is also a nice OS.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

In Parallels settings, how much of the 8gb of RAM are you assigning to the Windows machine?

4. magnumpi macrumors member

Happened the same to me: Windows 7 on VMware with no issues, Windows 8.1 on VMware/Parallels was quite laggy even with 4 GB of RAM assigned.

5. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Are you running Parallels 9 or 8? And as others mention how much ram are you using?

I have been running Windows 8 since prerelease in Parallels with zero issues, but I have 4gb of ram dedicated to that virtual machine alone.

6. magnumpi macrumors member

Parallels 9 & VMware Fusion 6, both with 4 GB RAM out of 8 assigned. For what is worth: it was Windows 8.1 not Windows 8.

7. freeuser Suspended

I am running W8.1 in Parallels 9

on my iMac 2011, and it feels speedy with 4GB Ram ;-). But I have assigned 2 Processors in Parallels configuration settings, maybe that's your slowdown with only one processor?!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Windows 8 runs fine on my iMac; I think you didn't put enough resources into your VM.