Win client cannot open file on lion server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Nick05, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Nick05 macrumors newbie

Nick05

We purchased a MacMini with Lion Server to be a file server in a small office. There is one other Mac and 7 Win computers in the environment. The iMac will connect to the server just fine, can open files, copy, and delete files. The Win XP computers can see the share, copy files to it, copy files from it, but cannot open the file on the server stating we didn't have permission to open the file. I don't understand why I have permission to read and write but not open the file from the server. Any ideas? Thanks

2. katedmoo macrumors newbie

same problem here with Windows 7

I'm having the same problem with our new MacMini Lion Server and Windows 7. The same username has no trouble accessing files from the mac computers on our network, but our PCs are having problems. This is without having changed any settings on the PCs since switching up from Snow Leopard server.

I noticed that I can open .pdf, .jpg, .rtf and quicktime files, however.

I've been advised that it might have to do with security policies on the PCs, but in spite of some tweaking I haven't found the correct settings.