Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shmk0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Would anyone know why I can open wrd. and pdf docs fine through email on a 3G but my boss (on the same phone) gets a win.dat extension and can't open it? I looked through the app store for a PDF/WRD viewer for email attachments (couldn't find one just for that purpose) but thought it was uneccessary because the phone it supposed to support this. Any thoughts?

Thanks

MacIIsi

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Sometimes when an MS Outlook user sends a message encoded in RTF (Rich Text Format) to a recipient that does not support RTF, the message body and/or attachments are converted to winmail.dat or win.dat files.

Have you and your boss ever received the same email from the same sender, where you could open it and he couldn't?

shmk0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Yes. My comments was the result of that exact example. Our assistant sent him two emails: one as a word and one as a PDF. He couldn't open either because of the extension. She asked if I could research App products. I suggested she send me the same e-mails and I opened no problem. Same 3g phone same source. I guess a trip to apple may be worth it. It just seems odd that we would have this type of problem stemming from the same e-mail. Thanks for any advice though.

shmk0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Apparently it may be the source. That same e-mail was sent to another reciepient (desktop) computer and had same error. The source is Outlook 97 so will have to research why this is. I guess it was a fluke that I could open it?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Apparently it may be the source. That same e-mail was sent to another reciepient (desktop) computer and had same error. The source is Outlook 97 so will have to research why this is. I guess it was a fluke that I could open it?

How the messages are received is determined by how your contact is set up for the person sending the message. Apparently your boss is set up for mail to be sent as Microsoft RTF which cannot be read by many other readers. The assistant needs to modify the settings in her address book, or if it is a global setting then the mail administrator may need to make that change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.