Win/Mac Dropbox/File Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fu-Manchu, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Fu-Manchu macrumors newbie

Hi,
    quick question: I have a Windows 7 Desktop PC with Dropbox running and keeping my Word (doc/docx) files on it.
    Is it possible to set up Dropbox on a Macbook and have both systems synchronized? Or should I expect file compatibility even if I work with Mac Office?
    Example: I have a .docx file on my PC, writing on a thesis, saving it on the Dropbox.
    Then I take my Macbook with me, synchronize the Dropbox folder/file and continue writing on the .docx file without a hassle. Is that possible? Cheers

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can share files and keep folders in sync between Windows and OS X via Dropbox. Yes, you can work on .docx files with MS Office on both Windows and OS X. It's not a problem at all. You may want to ensure that you have the same fonts installed on Windows and OS X.

4. Fu-Manchu thread starter macrumors newbie

5. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

How is this done?
    Sorry, I don't have a Mac but am thinking of getting one after being a long time PC USER.
    I also have a dropbox acct.
    Would I need a copy of Microsoft office on the PC side and then also have a office for Mac edition on the Mac in order to do what the OP wants to do?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, you will need MS Office on for Mac, or a compatible software suite, in order to open and work on your MS Office documents that you have on your Windows machine.

7. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Thank you!