Win Semiconductors Helping Lumentum Make iPhone X's Dot Projector

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Taiwanese manufacturer Win Semiconductors has reported a nearly 24 percent increase in third quarter revenue on a year-over-year basis, driven by the supplier's indirect foray into the iPhone X supply chain, according to DigiTimes.

[​IMG]

The firm's consolidated revenues hit a record monthly high of about $1.6 billion in local New Taiwan dollars in September, an increase of 13.4 percent from a month earlier and 44.74 percent from a year ago, the report said.

Win Semiconductors reportedly handles production of the VCSEL (vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser) component for Lumentum, which is believed to be one of Apple's primary suppliers for its new TrueDepth facial recognition system.
    The report, citing sources from Apple's supply chain, said that Win Semiconductors as an indirect supplier has not seen its VCSEL shipments affected by the low yield rates the TrueDepth system is rumored to be facing.

Article Link: Win Semiconductors Helping Lumentum Make iPhone X's Dot Projector

2. Danbrown521 macrumors regular

So who are you suppose to believe. A lot of pointing finger reports. The phone is in short supply, there are several reports every year saying this. You preorder and just hope you get one on launch day. If not, then you just wait.

3. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Reading the title I thought I was actually going to win semi conductors if I helped make the dot projector. Sounds pretty wild.

4. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Haha me too! I read the sentence a couple of times thinking it was a strange sentence structure for a competition.

5. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

It shoots an infrard laser beam into my eye. Will iPhone X have a standard warning sticker about not pointing tge laser towards my eye?

6. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

like this post if you thought macrumors was doing a give away when you read the article title lmao

7. WWPD macrumors member

WWPD

8. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter. :D:p

9. UnionVGF macrumors 6502

UnionVGF

This was such a difficult title to read.

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

The first VCSEL was presented in 1979 by Soda, Iga, Kitahara and Yasuharu Suematsu,[14] but devices for CW operation at room temperature were not reported until 1988.[15] The first semiconductor VCSEL was invented by Axel Scherer and Jack Jewell, two scientists at the AT&T Bell Laboratories.

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Oh crap.;)

12. kingpushup macrumors regular

iPhone X bottleneck is this Romeo VCSEL unit, so why would Win see their shipments impacted? As the only yield-reliable supplier, they have likely been at max (with consideration for any other clients’ needs) for many months now. No change possible, correct?

I would ask whether their other clients’ delivery quantities are being reduced or delayed.

13. Mizhou macrumors member

Another Dot: Dot Matrix

14. MvdM macrumors regular

I had to read the title 5 times. Why Is macrumors Using So Many capitals in Their Subject lines?

15. PickUrPoison macrumors regular

If by subject line you mean headline, MacRumors isn’t doing anything weird.

Weird are the websites that are extremely lazy, and don’t even try—they just capitalize every single word including articles (a, an, the), short prepositions (to, for) and coordinating conjunctions (and, but, or).

If you’re interested, google what the AP Stylebook or Chicago Manual of Style have to say about headlines.