Win X defender?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Strom1, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Strom1 macrumors regular

Strom1

I was doing some web searches and came upon Win X Defender it was doing the standard search and destroy of viruses it locked up my computer for a moment and finally i escaped,i thought viruses were not a issue on a Mac.Do you think this is a problem and could i virus still exist.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

WinX Defender is malware (i.e. not what it appears to be), but fortunately cannot affect your Mac (unless you're running Windows).

3. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

Despite living in the Windows world for 12 years, I've never heard of Win X Defender. My guess it's one of those sites that would find a virus on anything that connected to it.

Let me guess, for the nominal fee of $19.95, it will remove the virus it found.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

DONT WORRY! its a scam!.... youll be fine. when you where surfing the web you came across a flash movie or java script that pretends to be a virus scanner that scans your computer. it usually says "You have been infected... you have X harmful files... BLAH BLAH" and its usually the same message for that particular fake online scanner. if you then click "scan my computer" it will take you to their download page and start downloading a .exe which is most probably infected.

youll probably notice that the scanner and the harmful files is for windows. youre on a Mac using Mac OS X so you have nothing to worry about! :D

but if in the future you come across this on the web that makes out its a Mac OS X app thats scanning your computer, dont click scan as this will probably be the first harmful Mac OS X virus.

be smart when you browse and look out for thsee fake scam virus scanners. remember you actually have to download and install a virus scanner... it doesnt just popup while your surfing and tell you that you have infected files.

BTW here is the online virus scanner your probably talking about -> http://scanner.defender-scanner.com/3/?adv=2419

DO NOT OPEN THIS LINK ON A PC RUNNING WINDOWS!

a popup appears stating that your computer has slowed down and that you should scan. when you click OK it performs a fake scan. youll notice that its scanning .dll files which are windows files. when its finished scanning the screen dims and it asks you if you want to remove the files in a dialogue box which has a windows UI. anywhere you click on the window will then download Install2419.exe which is most probably full of malware.... AH i love playing with these things on a mac!

5. Strom1 thread starter macrumors regular

Strom1

No,it did not get to that level but i was a little surprised,especially after all the great things i heard about Mac's lack of getting viruses and this being my 2nd day of ownership.
    I called tech support they showed me how to check the hard drive to see if anything was corrupted but all looks good.

6. Strom1 thread starter macrumors regular

Strom1

Yes,you are correct it was similar to what your explaining but it would not let me do anything,i was trapped for a moment.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

which tech support did you contact? it cant cause any harm to your mac. its just a webpage with a fake online windows scanner that downloads a .exe. closing the tab or quitting Safari will sort it out. no reason to do any hard drive checks.

8. Strom1 thread starter macrumors regular

Strom1

Apple tech support,the person said he was shocked,there is no harm in checking the hard drive?