Win XP 32bit on Win7 Partition on MBP ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by HOLOGRAFX, Apr 28, 2011.

1. HOLOGRAFX macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 2010 that I Bootcamp partitioned & installed Win7 64bit. I need to run the original Adobe CS software (Win XP - 32bit). This will not work with the Win7 XP SP2 settings. Should I install the "Windows XP Mode" download, or a Win XP 32bit full version, or is there a better method? The CS Photoshop software doesn't look right on Win7 & the Cursors are not displaying correctly.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

If you have Windows 7 Professional or Utimate installed, you can try and see how Photoshop works under XP Mode. Alternatively, you can download and install Virtual PC 2007 and install Windows XP within that, which I have done on my Windows desktop and it works very well with the Virtual Machine Additions installed.

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

And there's also Virtual Box which many people use and love.

4. HOLOGRAFX thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying the MS Windows XP Mode 469MB download

Thank you guys for the helpful input. I wonder how many times there have been Virtual PC's with Windows software installed on a MBP. Since this MBP is only 6 months old & I can't presently afford the new CS5, I believe that this approach may be my best option -

I'll go ahead & install the (free) Windows XP Mode and the Windows Virtual PC from the Microsoft download site. I tried numerous settings on Photoshop within the Windows7 Professional 64bit that would not work, so I have uninstalled the Adobe CS(1) to insure that a fresh installation will not have any residual changes from the original settings of the CS software.

I'll post if these Virtual PC & XP Mode downloads are a straightforward install and if the Adobe CS runs as it previously has on XP. I have already had to have Win IE allow & not block the downloads (as is usual).

5. HOLOGRAFX thread starter macrumors newbie

Will not Authorize

Well, after about 2 dozen attempts of installing Adobe CS in numerous folders, all of which should have run the CS on a PC with Win7 and (possibly) the XP Mode, I have given it up. At several attempts, the Adobe CS software started to load and looked correct, only to stop loading and display a 'Initiation Authorization Failed' (or equivalent) and then the software closed.

I have since simply purchased a used PC with XP and the CS runs fine.

Oh, well.........

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Did it not work under a Windows XP virtual machine?

7. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

When you say original CS, do you mean the version from many years ago?

If you have the current Windows version you can call Adobe and they will change it for the Mac version. I did that last year. However, they will only do that with the current version.

8. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny