Win XP in BootCamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by baxlobs, Jan 5, 2013.

1. baxlobs macrumors regular

I have Win XP running fine in parallels, but there is a program I would like to use that won't work as it needs a USB device that Mac OS does not recognise.

The parallels support tried to help but said it was a hardware rather than software issue.

I am hoping that if I install Windows on bootcamp that the USB device would then be recognised as if it was attached to a PC? Is this correct?

If so will I be able to install Win XP SP3 on bootcamp. Some places I have looked say yes, but I have also seen that Mountain Lion does not allow this.

What is the correct answer please?

2. TouchArchive macrumors member

TouchArchive

I am run VMWare and don't have any problem with USB and PC programs .
    1.Lion 10.8.2
    2.Windows 7 Home 64 Bit
    3.VMWare 5

3. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I had to do it manually last night and not use bootcamp.

Also for my 2009 24" iMac I had to use the snow leopard DVD to get the correct drivers.

I'm running 10.8.2 on my iMac and xp sp3

4. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

It is possible. I have it running on my machine just fine. You have to do it without boot camp though.

1. Create partition for XP in Disk Utility. Use at least 10GB, but you may need more then that.
    2. Put in the XP install disk and reboot. When you see the white screen (before the apple logo) hold down the option key.
    3. Select the XP disc using the arrow keys and click enter.
    4. Go through the normal XP install until you have to pick the partition. MAKE SURE YOU PICK THE XP ONE, AND NOT YOUR OSX PARTITON.
    5. Let it install. Run through it as normal and then when it boots into XP (you may need to do it manually by holding option in boot and selecting the windows partition).
    6. Pop in the gray osX install disc that came with your Mac. You may need it to be Snow Leopard or lower, but I'm not certain on that.)
    7. It should allow you to then install the drivers and you'll be good to go.

5. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the detailed instructions, however one problem is that I have a new 2012 iMac, with Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8.2 installed. There are no installation disks provided with Macs anymore. I don't see how I can do this?

6. jamin100 macrumors 6502

You will need to get hold of a copy of Snow Leopard's bootcamp files for the XP drivers. Lion's wont work