Win XP now free as a virtual machine, can OSX use it?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MrMister111, Mar 22, 2015.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have an iMac with Yosemite on. I don't have a Windows PC. I need a Windows PC for a specific task I have to do, I could borrow one I suppose but quite a bit hassle.

So now on Windows 7 (found at work), you can download for free a virtual machine that has a full version if XP on.

Would this be able to be used if I can get the download on a Mac? via a few virtual machine program?

Anyone done this? I don't want to buy a copy of Windows just for this 1 task, do this would be great.

Thanks

2. Zodi4c macrumors newbie

Where do you find this download?
    I use FUSIOn an parallels, maybe I can test it

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Windows XP is not free, windows 7 has a Windows XP mode, which is a virtual XP running inside win7 using windows own virtualization technology. You cannot use this anywhere else other then inside win 7, i.e., windows proprietary virtualization technology won't work with parallels or vmware.

If you're running win7 inside Vmware/Parallels, then it won't work because windows 7 does not have direct access to the hardware which it needs.

You can do this if you run windows 7 in bootcamp.

See this link
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah ha, that's why it was "free" on the Windows 7 machine I see. Thanks. Pity..

So am I still stuck then for a XP on Mac?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Running windows on a Mac is quite simple, you need to either run it a virtualized environment with Virtual Box (free), Parallels, or VMware (the latter two offer trials but are not free). The other option is to run it in bootcamp which is basically running windows natively.

You have to supply your own windows license with all three options.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Depending on the program you need, you can try running one of the flavors of Wine for the Mac

such as WineBottler

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

9. chrfr macrumors 603

You can use those links to test websites by running a virtualized Windows. The VMs are fully functional but will expire. They do not require a separate license and cannot be activated with one.

10. Exhale macrumors 6502

Its not free at all.

Its one of the benefits you get for paying for W7 Pro over W7 Home.

11. doynton macrumors 6502

Yes. I downloaded the XP VirtualBox VM with IE8. It was free and worked fine - as previously mentioned they are fully functional so you can install whatever else you need.

There is an expiry date that you can workaround according to their release notes by using snapshots but as I only wanted to install one program to get contacts of a very old blackberry it wasn't necessary so I didn't try it.

12. William Auld macrumors newbie

I am using VMWare Fusion for running Windows XP, works great.
    Only one concern that running virtual machine requires more RAM.
    Before it was more or less ok to do regular tasks and keep VM running, with 8Gb of memory. But from time to tome the system used swap, which slowed down the system, so i decided to upgrade my mac to 16Gb, much more better now.