Win Xp on MBP BootCamp Help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SingerPilot, Apr 27, 2011.

1. SingerPilot macrumors newbie

hello guys
    i am new to the mac world and i need to install windows xp on my mac i brought 3 days back. after searching a lot online i was able to know how to use the boot camp facility on snow leopard to partition the hard drive and install windows but the installation gets struck on the black screen which says
    Checking System Configuration nothing else happens and i have reboot into mac after force quitting my mac.

Is it possible to install Xp on Mac 2011 Snow Leopard?? if so can you please guide me step by step??

thanks in advance

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You cannot install XP on this computer, as it is no longer supported by apple's bootcamp since this refresh and there are no drivers available for it, you will not be able to boot into it at all.

The only supported version of windows is Windows 7.

If you insist on running XP, you'll need to be doing so in a virtual machine, with all the performance drawbacks that go with it.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. njaremka macrumors 6502

i have xp loaded on my macbook pro in bootcamp? however, my MBP is a late 2010 model.

5. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

+1 xp will not work vista wont either as they do not have the proper driver support for the new hardware in the 2011 refresh.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's why. Like I said, it's is no longer supported as of the 2011 MBPs.

7. njaremka macrumors 6502

understood. windows 7 is much better than xp anyway.

8. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

We will have to agree to disagree on that one. I think that XP is the fastest most stable version of Windows, OK maybe NT but that's kinda moot since it's pretty much dead.

OP, is there any reason that you can't just run XP in a VM? In my experience, it runs just about as well in a VM as it does in Bootcamp. Not to mention that you have to reboot to use it and then there is no way to interact with OS X anymore.

9. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Well, that may be a matter of opinion. The fact remains, that 65% of the install base of Microsofts Operating Systems, are ... you guessed it... Windows XP. Corporate America is predominently on XP. This is good to know however, that bootcamp drivers are not available on the '11 models.

10. SingerPilot thread starter macrumors newbie

its ok guys i will try to get a windows 7 since there is no other option left
    thanks for the help guys....