win2000 server and osx 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamzx3, Sep 24, 2007.

1. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I will be freelancing in graphic design and retouching after I graduate this dec. and will need a way to reliably backup and manage my files. Ideally a nice Xserve would do the trick, or even a mac pro :) However its not in the budget, I do however have an older PC that I can use with win2000, would this be an acceptable way to backup and store files?

The pc is a 3ghz, 1gb ram, with about 300gb of disk space. I would like it to be a file server as well as have an FTP server so that people could send in files.

Setup I was thinking of implementing:

HD 1
    Partition 1 : 10gb Win2000 OS Files
    Partition 2 : 70gb File storage
    Partition 3 : 80gb Backup (copy1)

HD 2
    Partition 1: 80gb (backups copy2 )
    Partition 2: 80gb files storage

Norton Antivirus or at least AVG
    Some sort of software firewall

Backups will be Aperture, My archive and projects folders, home folder and bookmarks.
    As well as an online backup via mozy or jungledisk

I have two disks, should I chance a cheap raid+1 card or just have backup send files to both drives?

Also I can post elsewhere about configuring the ftp, haven't looked into that much yet, just an idea.

Basically I just want to backup files, store large chunks of suff there (such as video footage or temp stuff) and setup an ftp.

Any tips or guidance as to where to look on the web would be appriciated!

**Edit**
    I found this tutorial on mounting a windows drive/folder, is this the best way to do it for my situation? ( go>connect to server>smb://mywindowsbox

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-os-x/how-to-mount-a-windows-shared-folder-on-your-mac-247148.php

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

well windows 2000 is sutible, avg is better than norton. and ftp is the easyest way.

3. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Keep the hardware, lose the Windows2000.

Install a Linux distro.

4. adamzx3 thread starter macrumors regular

adamzx3

I was thinking about that, any versions (or kernals i think its called?) I should look into? I have used knopix to play around with it and had trouble doing the most basic things, but might be worth another try since I wont be really using the server that much.

5. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Just download Ubuntu and install that. Don't get the Server version, because if your new to Linux the Server distro is not newbie friendly. You'll install it and just get a terminal prompt. :D