win7 backup - how does it compare to Time Machine

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maflynn, Dec 22, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm running win7 in VMware, so it really doesn't apply to me, but I'm curious to how the included backup utility stacks up against Time Machine.

Any opinions on the backup software?

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Time Machine has a gorgeous GUI - and it's main purpose is to hide the fact that Time Machine is basically a backup toy, but not a serious backup software. Just try using a tape backup system with Time Machine or some other professional backup hardware.

Also, Time Machine's entire approach towards backing up data is purely aimed at consumers: The default is to backup everything. If you only want to backup certain directories, you have to create exhaustive exclusion lists. Hello? What's that nonsense all about? If I want a backup of a full system, I create an image of it - end of story.

So where are the differences in Windows 7? Firstly, the OS, including its integrated backup solution, comes from a corporate-oriented company. Except for gaming, Microsoft might not understand consumers, but they definitely understand corporations and professional/business environments. So their software does what you would expect from a software aimed at such an environment. There's no fancy GUI, but the features are there.

In perfect Apple tradition, Time Machine is a fancy GUI without most of the features a backup software should have. It might be easy to use and lovely to look at and play with, but at the end of the day it's still a low-end backup software that only supports -- ONE -- hard disk as a backup target.

3. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

Might be a bit superfluous but Windows Home Server has fantastic backup functionality which replaces Windows 7s built in backup software.

4. MrPeanut macrumors regular

Can i just say that windows backup is the worst piece of software i've ever used. It takes ages (because of the compression) even on firewire 800 and it doesn't do backups hourly like time machine (although i do believe its possible with some task scheduler option in windows) and everytime you want to change a setting it takes 15 seconds to load up whereas time machine does it almost instantly. I love windows 7 and mac os x 10.6 but in terms of backup, 10.6 is lightyears ahead. Unfortunatley i have to use a backup for windows because i have important college work on it that i cant afford to lose so i use the genie backup that comes with lacie and the only bad thing about that is it pops up saying there's no email program installed even though i've set it not to send me an email on backup completion. Also restoring files is ugly compared to time machine.

5. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I think you're wrong about that, i've plugged in a portable hd and my desktop hd once or twice and all you do is go to change hard disk.

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tell me how you really feel about Time Machine. :p

Personally, I think its one of the best approaches to backing up your data. What you consider is a negative (lack of choice or options) is its main feature. It has done what other backup programs had not done. Gotten many people to backup their data. I suppose if you want to use a Tape backup system or something more flexible or have a backup solution in an enterprise environment then TM isn't your best option, nor has apple ever advertised AFAIK that Time Machine is for the enterprise as well.

You answered my question however. The windows backup isn't like Time Machine but more like the typical backup programs you see on the market. I suspect that many folks will not use it, where as TM is so easy to setup you have to work at not setting it up.

As I mentioned, I'm on Vmware and so my VMDK files are getting backed up so I have little need of backing it up inside the vm environment.

Cheers
    Mike :)

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My biggest problem with backup on W7 Home Premium is the lack of network backup. It was in Vista HP but was removed for W7. In fact, its my biggest negative of W7 to date. Thankfully, there are plenty of alternatives, some good, some not so good but TM it ain't.