Win7 + BootCamp + Fusion / Activation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rickeames, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

Has anyone managed to get Fusion and Bootcamp to play nice with windows 7 activation? I keep getting asked for my product ID whenever I switch between the two.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am sure you have, but I have to ask:
    Have you installed VMware Tools?

I decided not to Boot Camp with Win7 and just go with Fusion this time
    But I know it was necessary to activate in Boot Camp first, then install tools and then activate in Fusion before

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It was working fine for me for months, but I upgraded to 3.0.1 and had to re-activate in Fusion. Haven't been back to Boot Camp since then.

B

4. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

It could be how I did it all. I installed on Boot Camp, did not activate. Then I ran FUsion and used the BC partion, things worked great (tools installed). Then I went and activated in Boot Camp, came back to fusion and got told my activation was dead.

Now I'm not sure what the proper procedure is at this point. How do I make the universe right?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I believe what you are supposed to do is install Boot Camp, create VM, install VM Tools, activate Boot Camp, activate VM. That worked for me initially.

FWIW I did get back to Boot Camp and all was fine.

B