Win7 Buying Guide

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Michael73, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2007
    Since 2008 I've been running and OEM System Builder copy of WinXP in VMWare Fusion that I got at my local Frys. In early '11 when I bought my MBP I used migration assistant to set up that machine and to my surprise, it also imaged my WinXP virtual machine. That's where I stand today.

Since most of my clients are now running Win7, I thought I'd join the crowd. I'm thinking about going to the OEM System Builder route again and getting Win7 Professional but the question is should I purchase the 32bit or 64bit version? Are there any things I should be aware of when running this OS with VMWare or on the machines I have? BTW, I'm running Fusion v5.0.2 on both machines.
  2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2010
    I'd get the 64 bit version and allocate 4 gb ram to the virtual machine. Whatever version you get, the product key will work on both a 32 bit and 64 bit install. You can legally download the iso for either version and use the OEM key.