win7 can't get on public network... no ip address?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by whyrichard, Jan 3, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

After initially installing win 7, and taking a few stabs at the correct driver for the wireless card in my mac pro (apple installed), i got wifi working with a public network.

HOWEVER, i installed windows updates, restarted, and now it's just not working again!

it says that there is not a valid ip address... my macs get on fine...

how to diagnose and fix? the win 7 dianostics do nothing.

thanks,

r.

2. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

hmmm.

got it to work when i turned off windows firewall... but how do i configure the firewall settings correctly?

... got it to work once with the firewall off, and then i returned firewall settings to default, and it does not work again. tried turning firewall off, still no dice! urgh...

anyone?

r.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Good, as that would have been my first guess.

Seems like the firewall is preventing DHCP.

I haven't played with the W7 firewall at all, but knowing what it is called might help you find the right checkbox.

B

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks for the reply, but no dice...

i try disabling the firewall, it worked briefly, then nope...

tried disabling Internet Protocol Version 6... nope...

tried uninstalling microsoft securiy essentials... nope...

grrrrrrrrr..... urrrrggggggg.........

r.

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

does it have something to do with the win7 updates?
    I tried doing a system restore but that didn't work either, perhaps it wasn't far enough back.

anyone have any advice?

r.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I remember having something similar happen on XP, and the solution had something to do with the the network binding order. Can you disable all other NICs (Ethernet, Firewire, Bluetooth to see if that might help it get it right.

As for general advice, how about sticking with OS X, you don't seem to be having much "fun" with Windows on your Macs. :p

B

7. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

just went through 9 pages on this forum:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/3374-wireless-problems-9.html
    to no avail...

...and believe me i'd like nothing less... cept for 3d modeling on the mac is not enough for me (catia, rhino (mac's beta is halfway), etc...)

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. UnixNut macrumors newbie

Have you tried setting the IP, DNS and gateway manually, rather then using dhcp?

If you go to a command line (Run->cmd) and type in ipconfig, what is the IP? Does it look like 169.x.x.x, which means your card is working but not pulling any info from dhcp. (Its a reserved IP range for auto configuration networks, windows assigns it when all else fails.)

Hope this helps.

10. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i'll try that when i get infront of the computer again tomorrow morning...

... but right now i am tampted to wipe the whole hd and start from scratch... it WAS working for a little while there but i think updates to office and otherwise might have changed something...

...do you guys think it would be a waste of time to wipe everything and start from scratch? or should i keep on fiddling with settings? I've tried everything i can find online to no avail thus far...

VERY FRUSTRATED. too much time wasted on new os's...

thanks,
    r.

11. UnixNut macrumors newbie

I would say keep tinkering with it, but then again, I like beating my head up against walls, or in your case, windowpanes :)

Either way, let us know what you found out, or how you resolved it, just in case we run across the same issue.

12. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Do you think i should try disinstalling all of my drivers and reinstalling them from scratch?

What is the proper method for disinstalling a driver in win 7? I'm not sure i've been doing it 'properly'...

r.

13. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

the ipv4 address for the wireless lan begins with 192.xxx.x.xxx
    the subnet mas is 255.xxx.xxx.x
    the default gateway is 192.xxx.xxx.x.

how do i set the ip, dns, and gatway manually?

thanks,

r.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Interesting, looks like you did get an address, but for some reason it is being claimed as not valid. Unfortunately I think Win 7 doesn't come with ping or traceroute anymore or I'd have you check some basic connectivity out.

For a 192 address you should have a few more 255s in your netmask (at least one). For example, if you have a mask of 255.255.255.0 then the first three numbers in the network are fixes. i.e. 192.168.1.XXX, and the gateway needs to be one of those.

So, let's assume it's got default settings. Your Gateway is 192.168.1.1 and netmask is 255.255.255.0.

Turn off the doohickey that says automatically get an address and give yourself an address of 192.168.1.222 (something high but less than 255).

Depending on how the gateway is set up, you may need to specify your DNS server address as 192.168.1.1 as well or you may have to specify a real DNS server's IP.

B

15. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

wow.

i tried reinstalling win7 and still nothing!

i tried:
    DONE:
    I did was I right clicked the network adapter in the device manager and selected update driver software. I then selected browse my computer for driver software and then selected let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. It populated a list so I went down to Broadcom (not Broadcom corporation) and selected Broadcom 802.11n (Broadcom).... CAN ACCESS ROUTER BUT NOT INTERNET

DONE:
    restart windows with no internet then uninstalling the network card and using the scan for changes button so that it re installs the driver automatically... NO CHANGE

Done:
    -network/boadcom card settings: disable ipv6
    -disabled firewall
    -In the Wired AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
    Click on Start and once the service has started click on OK

STILL NO INTERNET.

i am dying here.

r.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What do you mean by this?

It's beginning to sound like the problem may be in the router not the Mac or Windows. For some reason it is not routing your packets. Could you have a default route from some other adapter that is hijacking things.

Can you post the output of ipconfig /all http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490921.aspx

B

17. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks but after spending about 10 hours total trying to get it to work i've given up. I can only attribute it to an incompatibility between win7 and the router, which i do not have access to.

My temporary "solution" was to share the internet from a little 12" powerbook i have nearby.

thanks!

r.