[Win7 in Boot Camp] Current Q: Does Win7 recognize FireWire devices?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by PockieLoli :3, Jan 25, 2011.

1. PockieLoli :3, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

PockieLoli :3 macrumors member

New question is in the thread title.

Hello all. Apologies if this is a silly question but I'd like to know what type of specs you get while running Windows 7 through BootCamp. Do some specs magically change due to running on a different OS or what? I ask because I'm going to use BootCamp for gaming purposes, so I'd like to be able to compare my specs to system requirements when I choose games to purchase.

Some extra details:
    -I run on an early 2009 13" white Macbook.
    -Fully updated to Snow Leopard 10.6.6.
    -I plan to install Windows 7 Ultimate (x64).

Thanks in advance for any help! :]

EDiT: Oh, also... can anyone give me an estimate of how long a clean reinstall of my Mac OS X would take so I may manage my time with some preparation? The last time I tried to install BootCamp I had disk fragmentation issues. I posted a thread about it here too and I came to the solution of wiping my Mac clean.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. PockieLoli :3 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, that's nice to see. I read somewhere else that it took a user 12 hours... I won't be restoring any data because I don't have an external HDD to use with Time Machine. I've come to terms with just reinstalling the applications I frequently use. However, through the Snow Leopard disc, will I still be getting the applications that originally came with my Mac?; iMovie, GarageBand, etc.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

You should have a separate dvd that came with your mac for iLife, which includes iMovie, iweb, and iphoto (maybe garage band too).

5. PockieLoli :3 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I just looked through the box my MacBook came in and it's there. How about the drivers so that I can get my keyboard and trackpad to work in Windows? I've read elsewhere that the Mac OS X installation DVD that comes with the MacBook works. However, how about my Snow Leopard installation disc instead since that's what my MacBook is running on now?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. That's where the Boot Camp 3.x drivers will be if you have a retail upgrade Snow Leopard disc.

B

7. PockieLoli :3, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

PockieLoli :3 thread starter macrumors member

-snip-
    Figured out what was originally posted here; here's another question.

Will Windows 7 in Boot Camp recognize devices plugged in via Firewire?
    The device I'm referring to is a G-Technology external hard drive; it's Mac/Windows compatible.