Win7 install gone wrong, can't enter OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kollapse, Apr 14, 2012.

1. kollapse macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

A good friend of mine asked me to install Windows 7 on her Mac and after I did a bit of research about how Bootcamp works, I said yes.

> I formatted the USB to MS-DOS
    > Used Bootcamp and follwed the procedure
    > Created a 100GB partition for Windows
    > After a decent while, the USB key was ready

Now, this is were the problem lies:
    It restarted just fine and we booted up from the USB, which went perfectly fine also. Then it just stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen. Waited for an hour or so. Nothing happened. Shut down the computer and booted up again - same thing... Waited for an hour, all the same.

I tried with a standard copy of Win7 from a disk which went absolutely flawless untill I realised it wasn't possible to install Windows on a partition that wasn't NTFS (or FAT32 I assume). It would be logic that it needed to be done from the Bootcamp way to work as intended.

So this is where I'm stuck... I'm supposing the Windows 7 ISO on the USB was sort of broken (yes, it was pirated, I admit it).
    My questions would then be: Is there any way for me to enter OS X in the current state ? Or perhaps just delete the "BOOTCAMP" partition, will it work ? I need this to try another ISO image and do the procedure over again.

I have a fair amount of knowledge about this technical subject (partitioning, formation etc) just not OS X in general, so if anyone would throw something at me, it should be understandable - hopefully.

Thank you beforehand. Any advice would be fairly welcome considering I'm quite a noob at this.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Hold option key on startup when you hear the chime and you should have osx as a boot option

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

And incase you were unsure option key = alt key

4. kollapse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.
    However, it does not seem to work. It just says "missing boot device" when I've been holding alt down for 15 seconds or so.
    Tried it four times.

Another alternative would be to use Bootcamp from another OS X Lion install to install the Windows ISO the proper way on either an USB or disc. But that would be a hazzle, no doubt.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

You didn't format your osx partition during the windows 7 install did you? Like when windows installer asks "where would you like to install windows"

6. kollapse thread starter macrumors newbie

Not at all. I formatted to what I presume as HFS+ during the Bootcamp process.
    It recognizes a Windows 7 installer disc as intended, just not the USB which I formatted to MS-DOS and did the Bootcamp thingy.

7. kollapse thread starter macrumors newbie

8. kollapse thread starter macrumors newbie

A little update:

I tried plugging in the USB again and - suddenly - it worked... all of a sudden...
    I installed Windows 7 just fine. Don't know what the bug might have been but it seems to be functioning now.

I appreciate the help.