Win7 installation from USB failing - no bootable device...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mthq, Oct 31, 2010.

1. mthq macrumors newbie

Hi
    This is now few days I try to install Win7 from USB on MBP 15 i7. I used the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool Help to create my USB stick. I was successful to install it on my brothers 27" iMac using the same process but Im having problem with my MBP.

I create the BootCamp partition 100GB and installed rEFIt.

Each time I try to boot of USB I get: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I don't have the DVD-DL disc to burn the ISO but I'm afraid that I will get the same error.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm surprised it worked on the iMac!

Macs are finicky about what USB media they will boot from. There are two approaches to install from ISO.

1) use VMWare or Parallels to install to the Boot Camp partition and finish the install booted natively.

2) create a throwaway partition on your boot drive and copy theconents of the iso to that and install from there.

B

3. mthq thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi I was trying your method I got stuck.
    1. I have VMware image file 40GB that I'm launching my VM session with windows 7 - but it does not seems to have access to my drives. I can't even start the installation as I'm getting error - something with compatibility.

2. I made throwaway partition beside my BootCamp but how can I format this partition to NTSF to put Win7 image files (fat32 is limited 4GB). Like I said my VM session does not seem to have access to my other drives (bootcamp and throwaway). Is there a way so I can see them in my VM Windows 7 so i can format them?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm on my phone so I can't search as easily as I'd like. Search this forum for "without SuperDrive" to find the thread that has detailed instructions fo both approaches.

EDIT: This is the thread I was referring to. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414

B

5. mthq thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! Perfect I managed to install it! Thanks for you help mate! It took me there where I wanted Windows 7 on board working! LOL I used the partition.

Thanks!

6. swea123 macrumors newbie

can anyone plz tell me the steps for booting window 7 with usb ...i am noob and suck in computer.. i got refit and usb and i downloaded the window 7 usb download tool too ... but it still doesnt work...it says "no bootable device" ....plz help me ...thanks