Win7 Installation.... Simply...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by whyrichard, Dec 14, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I have an '09 Mac Pro running Snow Leopard.

It has four drives in it:
    80gig intel ssd (osxSL)
    640gb hhd (osx working files)/Bootcamp Win xp pro 32bit
    2x 10000rpm raptors... (no identity yet...)

I need to install Win7 (Student discounted 64 bit Professional) on a new partition (i need more hd space for win 7)...

It seems like the process is not so clear... so I ask you all, how best to create a new partition and do a clean install of win 7 pro 64bit?

also, what to do about drivers for a mac pro '09 quad?

thanks, thanks, thanks...

r.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You should do a search on the forums for this answer. Several others have asked. I believe the student version is only available for upgrading, not a clean install.

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

As far as I know, you can only install Windows (with Boot Camp anyway) on the same drive as OS X is installed on. To do that, you simply run Boot Camp Assistant (in Utilities folder), adjust the slider to specify how much space you want to give your Windows partition (which entirely depends on what you're going to be be doing in Windows), insert your Windows DVD, and restart. The Boot Camp drivers are on the Leopard (Boot Camp 2.0 driver set) or Snow Leopard (Boot Camp 3.0 driver set) DVD's. To install those, boot into Windows and insert the DVD. From there you'll probably want to get the newest Nvidia/ATI driver from their website.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

it seems tricky...

I ALREADY have xp pro 32 bit installed on a bootcamp partition, but the partition is turning out to be too small. So I could use winclone to move it off, resize the partition, and move it back on, but winclone doesn't work in sl very well...

So should I remove the xp partition with bootcamp, resize it, reinstall xp pro 32bit, and then install windows 7 while running xp pro?

And regarding drivers, how do i install the drivers? can they be found in the Snow Leopard cd?

Also, is there a problem installing 64bit windows 7 pro ontop of 32 bit xp pro?

thanks,

r.

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

So... according to this:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/review_upgrade.asp

an XP pro 32bit user will need to do a "Migration" using something called "Windows Easy Transfer". Supposedly this tool allows you to do this onto a separate partition.

Now that sounds great, so I can create a new partition on another drive and use Windows Easy Transfer to "Migrate" up to Win7-64.

My concern is... will Bootcamp see the other partition? And how do I create a Partition that the Windows Easy Transfer tool will recognize?

thanks,
    r.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

WhyRichard,

The Mac Pro is more like a regular PC in that you really should not need to use Boot Camp Assistant during install at all, being that you can dedicate an entire internal drive to Windows.

It is not clear to me from your OP where you want Windows 7, I assume it's on one of the Raptors.

It has been a while since I did this and I can't easily check, but as I recall it went own like this on the most recent Mac Pro I bought for work (now running Windows 7 exclusively). Attach new HDD to the box. Insert Windows DVD, Reboot, hold Option/Alt, Select Windows DVD, target the new HDD for the install.

Windows will partition and format the space you tell it to without needing Boot Camp Assistant at all.

Then you can install the appropriate drivers from the SL DVD.

B

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Once you have the partition size worked out, simply put in the disk and boot into your windows partition. Install right over the top of XP. You'll get an option to backup all data and programs - windows.old folder.

Once you have installed Win7; insert your SL disk and Win7 will automatically detect the drivers and install them. With either the migration assistant or the backup utility through Win7 install process you will need to manually reinstall all of your programs.

Once done, you can go into your windows.old folder and move any files you need back into their cooresponding new locations. You'll be back up in no time as good as new.

8. JollyRogers macrumors regular

I just physically pull out all my other drives, except the one I am installing windows on. Then I boot from the install CD/DVD and install on the only drive in the machine. Clean install, upgrade whatever...

Then I put all the drives back in (after shutting down the machine). I boot and use the option key to select what OS I want to boot. This works for me, however, the Windows "drive" is MBR and bootcamp doesn't like it, meaning you can't set the windows drive as your regular boot drive. You don't need to install bootcamp(exe) either, just the needed drivers.

As far as drivers. Your install DVD has the necessary 64 bit drivers on it. You just have to dig into the DVD a little to get them. :apple: will also be coming out with new official ones soon they say.