Win7 Not Booting in Boot Camp after MS Recent Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lewes3, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Lewes3 macrumors newbie

Hi, I suspect I may not get a lot of sympathy here given that I primarily use Win 7 in a Boot Camp environment on my 2009 iMac 27. Having said that, I really need guidance on options.

After the most recent Win 7 updates last week, Windows will not boot. All I get is a white screen. I can hold down the option key and boot up on the Mac os. (where I am now). Work and software considerations played a major role in my decision to work with Win.

In any event, how to get past the white screen - If I could get Win to begin booting I might be able to figure out the problem but no go. Just a white screen.

I am running the original version of Mac O/S and Boot Camp that came with iMac when new. Everything has been running perfectly until last week.

I tried updating the OS but I receive an error message saying the file has been corrupted while being downloaded.

The Boot Camp Assistant seems to have no option for repairs - only two choices there, 1, Remove Win7 or 2. Download Latest Win Support Software from Apple. Both of these options would seem to wipe out my Windows partition totally, programs, files, etc. etc. This would be OK as I've been running a back up and successfully download all my files on to a Win Laptop.

So, I guess my options are:

1. Reload Boot Camp with most recent Apple software.
    2. Figure out why Mac O/S will not download. (Boot Camp? Virus protection? need help here)
    3. Reformat entire HD and start over - I have my original disks.

4. Other suggestions or recommendations??? Please speak slowly, I am not totally familiar with the Mac side.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

Chuck

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Boot Camp doesn't repair Windows, but Windows can!
    Have you tried a Windows repair install?
    You will have options for that when you boot your Mac from your Windows 7 installer disk.
    If you are not sure how to do that - insert your Win 7 installer disk, then restart your Mac while holding the C key on your keyboard. That will force your Mac to boot from whatever is in your optical drive.
    Follow the prompts to Repair Windows, etc.

That may get your Windows system working again.
    There's always some risk to the OS X system, particularly if the Windows repair has to "fix" the drive boot blocks.
    Usually, you just need to pay attention to which partitions get repaired, and make sure that, given the choice, that you only choose a partition that actually has Windows (the boot camp partition, eh?)