Win7 NTFS Partition Icon Help Please? Need help BADLY!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by skyfly1234, Jul 28, 2011.

1. skyfly1234 macrumors newbie

So I'm new at MacRumors, and I joined for really one reason: No matter what, I cannot get my icon on Mac OS X for Windows 7 to change from the standard hard drive icon. I have read and followed every thread, post and article about it I can find. Some have gotten me really close and taught me a little about what I'm going to have to do. SOme have been utterly useless. However, one particular set of instructions has caught my eye. It goes like this:

Replacing the XP Partition's icon

If you use a NTFS file system, you will not be able to modify the XP Partition's icon by the "Get Info" procedure. Follow this instructions to see how you can change your XP Partition's icon
    1.- Format a USB stick with a FAT file system (you can use any volume really, but it needs to be FAT).
    2.- In Mac OS X, set a custom volume icon using the Finder's "More info" window or any tool of your choice.
    3.- Open a Terminal window, enter
    cd /Volumes
    ls -la
    You'll see a file listed that has the same name as the FAT volume, but with a "._" prepended. For example, "._USBSTICK".
    4.-Copy that file to the equivalent name for the Windows XP NTFS partition by typing in the terminal
    cp ._USBSTICK ._WinXP
    5.- Transfer the ".VolumeIcon.icns" file created on the FAT file system to the root of the NTFS partition, using Windows.
    6.- Open a Command Prompt and Enter in "attrib +H +S .VolumeIcon.icns" from the root of your NTFS partition. This will make the file a Hidden, System file, which hides it from curious passers by and even if you have the show hidden and systems files it will not show up in your NTFS partition.

Congratulations! Now your XP partition has a new icon.

I've seen that this has worked and people are happily praising this method but I still have one problem with it... steps 3-6. Actually, its a bunch of questions. Just saying, screenshots would be VERY, VERY helpful, and if someone can find or can make a video showing this step-by-step clearly, you'd be a MASSIVE help for me, loads of other people and countless people that will encounter this problem in the future. So, the actual questions. What EXACTLY is supposed to happen in Terminal in step 3 and 4? What reactions will the program give to each line entered? And in step 5, this is my biggest question, what the heck is it even saying? Can anyone word it much better? Like, MUCH better? WHERE in the root of the NTFS partition? WHat exactly does it mean by "root?" Isn't that just C:>Users>*Username*? I tried dropping it there but it didn't work so I'm assuming its not the right spot. WHERE EXACTLY is the ROOT? And after making the custom icon the icon for the USB drive, how do I get to it? Am I supposed to have it show hidden files? And in Command Prompt, what exactly am I supposed to type and enter? What exactly should be Command Prompts reactions? How is this supposed to affect how the drive is shown on the Mac OS X partition? So clearly, I am very confused and need help badly. Can any smart, experienced Mac user help me out here? I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance!

2. Loperation macrumors newbie

Easier with Tuxera NTFS

Hi skyfly

I'm not sure if you were able to solve this, but after having tried several methods, including the one you mentioned, the only one that worked for me, and also the easiest, was to temporarily install the trial version of Tuxera NTFS for Mac and that will allow you to read and write the NTFS partition. Once that is enabled, you can apply the traditional OS X icon changing method (copy the icon you wish to use for the windows partition, select the partition in desktop, cmd + I to open the 'Get Info' window, select the icon on the upper left corner and apply cmd + v).
    Once you've changed the icon, you can uninstall the app from the Tuxera NTFS pane in System Preferences.

Hope this helps, it worked beautifully in Lion.

Late 2008 MacBook (Aluminum Unibody), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, OS X Lion 10.7.2

Attached Files:

3. skyfly1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are a god amongst gods.