Win7 on bootcamp not seeing USB HD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by neenja, Jul 20, 2010.

1. neenja macrumors 6502

I just installed Windows 7 on my bootcamp partition. I have a macbook pro intel.

Everything is loading fine, i ran the windows 7 update and all things are up to date. I now need to load my bootcamp drivers. I restored my Snow Leopard image file onto a portable HD. Double checked in osx and everything loaded fine.

Now, my problem is.. from Windows 7, when I plug in my usb hd, it does not load. Is there a reason why windows does not recognize the usb hd as a bootable install disc? When I am back in OSX and plug in the drive, it loads just fine.

Anyone know if there is something I can do to get windows to boot the usb drive? The last resort I want to do is burn the image file to dvd.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The drive is likely in HFS+ format which Windows cannot read or write. DVD is probably the easiest method

3. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

damn. im stuck at the office right now and want to get this done. id have to wait a few hours to go home then burn the dvd.

is there a way to format the drive in a different format and also restore an image to it? so that windows can boot it from usb

4. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

i just erased it and created it as a ntfs with MBR options.

restoring the image back onto it now. think this will work?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah sure. Just open Disk Utility and change the format to MS-DOS (FAT). Then Windows can read it fine

Yeah, it should work. NTFS is even better than FAT32

6. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

7. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

what i dont understand is.. when i load Drivers and Printers, I can see the device there, but it only lets me view the properties.