Win7 Professional multi-license?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Michael73, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I currently have a MP and MBP. Each has Fusion 3 and each has WinXP SP3 running. Since it's such a PITA to make the jump from XP to Win 7, I'm thinking the easiest upgrade is just add a second VM but I think this requires me to buy full copies of Win 7 (I want Professional given both machines are for my business).

MSRP is $299 for a full copy of Win 7 Professional. Rather than paying $598 for 2 copies, does MS offer a 2 or 3 license version of their OS (kind of like Apple's "family pack")?

For example, I know they did a 2-license version for the just released copy of MS Office 2011 for Mac....

If not, what's the easiest way to upgrade 2 machines to Win7 Professional?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MS Has a Family 3 Pack of W7 Home Premium occasionally in the US. (They discontinued it and brought it back for a limited time).

Note: you can avoid the Xp->7 dance just by buying retail upgrade licenses and
    clean installing http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

Since the installer's mechanical limitations can easily be overcome, the only thing you need to be sure of is that you qualify for the upgrade pricing.

B

3. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

I wonder if I qualify for the upgrade pricing? My copy of WinXP was bought at Frys and is an OEM System Builders license.

4. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Yes; any Windows XP license is eligible for upgrade pricing. That being said, you can't do an in-place upgrade to Windows 7, it will only let you do a clean installation (which would be the smarter choice even if you could do an in-place upgrade).

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Plus an OEM/System Builder license does not generally grant you transfer rights, so you are in a grey area with respect to the licensing. (Currently, OEM/System Builder license requires you to resell to a non-related third party, so it is not intended for end users.)

It all boils down to your own comfort zone. If you feel better accepting that you are outside the license with a new OEM license of W7 (not licensed to end users) or if you feel better doing a clean install of W7 from upgrade media (requires a valid underlying license). Both will work and are equally grey areas, but the only way to be completely license compliant is to buy and use only full retail licenses on your Macs.

B