Win7, Questions 4 MBA

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by supernet33, Jan 7, 2011.

1. supernet33 macrumors regular

So I am debating if I should put windows 7 on my MBA.. Here they are..
    1) What is the best way to install Windows 7 64bit
    2) How much hard drive space should I give it? I have the 128gb SSD
    3) I remember when I installed Win7 on my MBP, 64bit was a hassle, is it still like that?
    4) How do I put windows 7 on a flash drive, to install it?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

(1) external DVD; pick up a superdrive or whatever USB drive you want off eBay or craigslist

(2) my W7 OS takes up 18GB excluding my files (my user "folder" is on a separate drive) so I would give it 30-40GB

(3) no

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I installed Windows 7 using my iMac's shared DVD drive. Piece of cake and worked flawlessly. Also installed Office this way.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

What do you plan to run on Windows 7? 64-bit takes up about 18GB, and thus I would recommend giving it at least 32GB. Note that the Boot Camp assistant uses the base 1024 GiB, and not the base 1000 GB, and it's really only a 125GB drive, so you are only starting with about "119GB" to allocate.

32-bit saves a little bit of room. 64-bit runs just fine, though, and lets you access all 3.75GB of the MacBook Air's RAM, assuming you have the 4GB version. Unlike with previous Macs, the Boot Camp drivers aren't on the OS X drive. Instead, you download them separately as part of the Boot Camp assistant process.

6. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

1) What is the best way to install Windows 7 64bit
    I used a USB flash drive with the Windows Software on it... See other threads for that

2) How much hard drive space should I give it? I have the 128gb SSD
    I'm using 40GB for Windows on my 128GB 11" MBA. Space is tight, but I only have developer tools on there.

3) I remember when I installed Win7 on my MBP, 64bit was a hassle, is it still like that?
    64-Bit is fine now.

4) How do I put windows 7 on a flash drive, to install it?
    See other threads... I needed to use rEFit to get the MBA to recognize the USB media on boot up.